• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Here is my new Deuce - Help ID Year/Full VIN

houdel

Here is my new Deuce which I picked up yesterday (3/21/06) from Selfridge ANG Base in Michigan. After the usual fluid checks and airing up the tires (they had between 15 and 40 pounds of air per tire, must have still had the winter air in them!), I added a quart of Marvel Mystery oil to the crankcase and a quart of Power Service fuel conditioner and Injector cleaner to clean up the fuel system during the ride home. Then a helpful AF Mechanic jump started it for me and I drove it about 225 miles (mostly Interstate) to home. The trip was pretty uneventful, except for when I ran out of diesel fuel about 3/4 of the way up my driveway!

As you can see from the photos, it still has the white markings from the DRMO all over it. How do you get that stuff off? I've tried denatured alcohol, gasoline and Goo-Gone, and nothing seems to work.

I think I got a pretty great truck for the money. Here is the details:

Kaiser-Jeep, model year unknown.
16,058 miles on the odometer.
Continental LDT 465-1D, rebuilt at TEAD 10/91, std bore & mains, rods -.010
Rebuild at Tooele 6/89, rebuild tags on all 3 diffs, tranny and transfer case.
Personnel Heater.
Air Shift transfer case.
Ether starting assist system!
NATO Slave receptacle.
CARC Repaint 6/89, great paint job, no peeling except for a few thumbnail sized spots on the hood.
Rustproofed in '89, no rust to speak of, just a couple of small spots of surface rust here and there.
It had about 3/4 tank of diesel, I pulled the strainer and sticked the tank to verify, got to drive it home using Government fuel!
West Coast mirrors.
Full troop seats in excellent condition.
Almost new driver's air ride seat (I just have to figure out how to work the adjustments).
Passenger's seat pretty ratty, cover torn, not much cushioning left.
Tires listed as new but show some wear, I'd estimate at 90%-95% tread remaining.
Spare tire brand new, never been on the ground, still has the paint stencilling on the road contact surface.
Fresh looking 6TLMF batteries, one excellent battery (all cells 1.275-1.300 S.G.), other battery has one dead cell (>1.100 S.G.), other 5 cells 1.275-1.300 S.G. by my hydrometer.
Soft Top (Darn)
Air operated wipers (I can live with that).
Lousy window seals, 1/2" or more gaps at rear of window, I about froze my butt off on the way home even with the heater on high the whole way (mid 30's outside)!
Good sized rust hole on the bottom of the J pipe clearly visible in the photo, I'll use a muffler bandage to fix it until I can get a new J pipe.
No cargo cover, just the front bow and front cargo curtain.
Great brakes!
All lights & turn signals work (I didn't check the BO lights).

Forgot to mention when I posted, it also has a Solargizer. Don't know if it works, haven't had any sunny days here recently!

Here's an oddity though, I supposedly have a "D" turbo but it whistles. I can hear it whine plainly at idle and at part throttle, and it really howls when I back off the throttle at road speed. The only time I can't hear it is at WOT, probably due to the big hole in the J pipe.

I have a couple of other areas I need some help with but I'll cover those in separate postings.

I DO NEED YOUR HELP IN IDing THE MODEL YEAR AND COMPLETE VIN.

As you can see in the data plate photo, the VIN is only 9 digits, 0539-14943, and there is no manufacturer code or model year stamped on it. There is a separate smaller plate with a large painted "USA" and a smaller number "NK 0082" stamped below the "USA". I am told this is the vehicle registration number. I do realize some older trucks have 9 or fewer digit serial numbers, but it was too cold and snowy today for me to go out and try to find the frame serial number to see if had any more digits than the data plate.

A lot of other GL listed trucks of this era have a serial number with a format nn-aannnn-nnnn-nnnnn, I'm guessing the first two digits are the manfacturer's code and the remaining digits are the vehicle registration number and the serial number. Using that format, my complete VIN could be nn-NK0082-0538-14943, with the nn being the unknown manufacturer code. That is just my guesstimate, I can live with a 9 digit serial number as long as that is what it is supposed to be.

I REALLY NEED TO FIGURE OUT THE MODEL YEAR THOUGH. Michigan allows you to register a vehicle with an authentic registration plate for the year of your vehicle, and I really want to do that. 60s era authentic plates are going on Ebay from $2.00 to $25.00 in excellent condition, and I would like to get the correct year plate for my Deuce. Can anyone help me out with the correct model year or point me to some other source listing VINs by model year? For what it is worth, ALL the data plates in my truck are painted with a light brown background as shown in the photo, not a black background as is most commonly seen. The weight is specified as 13,000 lbs empty, 23,000 GVW as opposed to the 13,030/23,030 lbs. on most other M35A2s. Also, the data plate has MODEL-CA-D-54 and CONT. NO. DA-20-113-AMC-03416(T) marked on it, if that is any help (Hmmm, Kaiser-Jeep manufacturer and an AMC contract number?).

Sorry for the long message, hope you can be of some help figuring this out for me! Thanks, Lee

Attachments

ida34

My daughter just cleaned the marks off my hood. I had her use brake cleaner and a green pad. I have not looked at it but she said there was only a few small spots that would not come off and she was afraid of taking all the other paint off too.

rice

I'll make a guess and we'll see what the experts say. I would gues. a 1973 or 74 AM General I have a 77 AM General that has a 9 digit serial number that starts with 07. And I have an 86 AM General that starts with 09, still 9 digits on the frame.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's going to be tough to date. The Kaiser Jeeps were around from 1963 until 1969. The contract number ont he data plate is an older one too. I would just pick a year between the ones listed and go for it. The usual checking of all the major component dates might not work if its been depo overhauled. Check the left front frame rail somewhere near the steering box and get the VIN from there too. I need to research my notes on the 0539 prefix to see what that truck was. I've seen plentyof the data plates turn that color before.

rice

It looks like the data plates have been changed by how the pop rivets are not located properly. A 67 or newer by air shift. The two Kaiser`s I've had 67 & 68 had frame serial numbers that started with 0225. So if its a Kaiser it should be 68 or newer. The way the serial number is written may be an old data plate stuck on a newer truck. On mine, the Kaisers had the serial number on left frame rail just ahead of the axle, my 86 AMG has it just behind the axle. I'll look at the 77 and see where it is. The 77 has it in front of the axle.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While these aren't written in stone, this comes from a very knowledgeable source. There has been some conflict on its accuracy but the gov't is famous for swapping bodies and updating data plates among other things. I've had several winch trucks that the gov't removed the winch. Don't be surprised if your shop van has the prefix for a cargo truck. This will not apply to the trucks from the early 60s and back. With that said, here's a glimpse at the numbers.
0524- M275A2 wo/w
0525- M35A2 wo/w
0528- M49A2C
0530- M185A3 Im not sure if there are any built at this serial range
0532- M109A3
0534- M45
0535- M756A2
0536- M764
0539- M35A2 w/w
0540- M35A2C dropside
0546- M36A2

rice

Are these Kaiser #`s ? My 66 Kaiser M45A2WLF-W frame # starts with 0134 My 77 AM G starts with 0625 (data plate shows 77K1175-0625-12346) and my 86 AM G M35A2C Starts with 0940 My 1967 M34 parts truck is 0125-29110

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's not an all inclusive list and should cover several manufacturers. I'll call the the guy and see if he's come up with any more numbers since I got these. I know it covers at least the AM Generals and Kaisers. Rick if you don't mind sharing either here or in a PM, would like to see the complete number on the trucks. The 013A strikes me as odd!

rice

I edited the post above. The 66 Kaiser M45A2 is ser # 0134-10220 both on the frame and on the data plate. the data plate says M45A2 W/oW at the top but beside the serial # it says Model CH-D-54 Contract # DA-20-113-AMC-03416(T). This was a Ward Lafrance Fire truck The 86 AM G M35A2C is Serial #0940-10754

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rick, odd that my list shows the dropside as 0540 and yours is 0940. Maybe my contact got that one off a bit.
amd the M45 my list has 0534 and yours is 0134. Need to do a little more digging here but we might be onto something with deciphering the VINs. Maybe the first 2 denote the MFR and the last 2 the body originally attached. Now I'm really curious!

rice

There is another AM G that belongs to a friend in AL that is an 85 and his is 0940-102?? His truck was built in early 1985 and mine was completed in 11-85 and my 77 AM G begins with 0625. It does look like the 40 designates drop side and 25 designates regular bed. Even the 2 67's and 68 Kaiser had the 25 as digit 3 and 4 with regular bed. And it appears with the older Kaisers beginning with 02, that the frame serial numbers are in sequential order regardless of Kaiser or AM G.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rick, we're on to something here. I'm going to start a thread asking for folks to provide that first 4 and what truck they have to see how it turns out.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two more for your study:
M756A2C W/W (from photo of tag of pipeline deuce at Clark Truck Parts 1995): 040-37770-0535-10007
M49A2C W/W (my fuel tanker deuce): 353418-68-0328-10517

Both by Kaiser Jeep.

Never confirmed the year of my deuce, but has gone with 1968 since the DRMO auction description in 1995.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks right Bjorn! My pipeline had 0535 as the first 4 and the 35 seems to denote pipelines. Your M49 has 0328 and the list has 0528 showing that the 28 also denotes the tanker. Just need to find a pattern with those first numbers. Whats the mfr of your deuce?

rice

I was told the M45A2 came as a cab and chassis and they put whatever body they chose. That might explain the 0134. It was built in 1966, but Ward lafrance completed the body in 1968. I was also told that made it a 530, but the Ward Lafrance data plate calls it a M45A2WLF-W. The 1967 Kaiser parts truck I have appears to be a regular deuce, but the data plate says its a M34.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While you have the chance, follow the logic here.

You DO NOT want a newer truck on paper. Anything from '66 on will have to be smogged if you live in an attainment area. That is tough to do, most multiflops won't pass. Insurance is higher. You cannot get historic plates and automatic DOT exemptions if it is "too new".

Knock a date from the 50's on it an go with that. Does a duece look any different according to year? NO.

Just an opinion from a guy with lots of trucks and lots of experience in this arena.

dg

rice

But, if you decide to sell, Ebay for example, The 1985 deuce will bring more money than a 65. GSA has my 86 M35A2C down as a 1971 Kaiser. But as a 86 AM General it might bring $7500 on Ebay, a 71 Kaiser wouls probably bring $5500 in similar condition. Regardless of how its registered, I would like to know how to tell the year by the serial # for future deuces I might buy.

rice

On the 66 Kaiser serial# 0134 would be in sequence. 66 must have been the last year for 01 because 67 was 02 and the 34 stands for M45 so that would be correct.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks