• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Here to learn from Huntington Beach

jg210302

I have always had an interest in military vehicles, my uncle was a marine and I went and still go out to Twentynine Palms a bunch. (We still have his place out there) That is what drove me to get my A&P when I couldn't go into the military out of high school. It all worked out for me when I went from working on aircraft to working on race cars then going into engineering. Now I have a piston company and design racing components all day long... My interest was recently sparked again when I could not find a "camper" capable of going to the places I want to go to with my family. Then I noticed that my neighbor across from my shop got a M35 with what looks like an expandable van body on it... Now I am trying to learn everything I can so that hopefully I can find one in my price range... The TM section kicks butt and I have been addicted to reading and learning as much as possible...

Thanks!
Jeremy

Is there anywhere in or near California to buy them at a decent price? Shipping from the east coast without inspecting looks kind of crazy to me...

gungearz

Glad to have you aboard... Your neighbor has a m109 duece and a half... Its a common camper conversion here... Use the search bar to find out more about the m109...

steelandcanvas

Welcome from the Plains of Colorado! Peruse the Classifieds, a 109 will come up occasionally. Nice to hear you get into the TM's...they are an invaluable resource when it comes to finding information on your (future) vehicle! Enjoy the Forum and the banter that goes along with it!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Expandable vans are usually 5 ton's, and it probably illegal for passengers in the back (and very crowded since everything has to fit inside the un-expanded space) unless there is a direct passageway into the cab (for safety). Actually, you are in luck because almost all the regular deuce shop vans are out of the military (read twice as expensive now), but the 5 ton trucks are still being surplussed, so you have a chance of picking one up and converting it.

jg210302

I would really prefer to stay with the 2.5 ton trucks, I would love to find an M109 or even an M292. I know they are getting harder to find and it seems that most are back east, but I already have some cash saved up...

two.fiveM35

Welcome from Houston Texas, I grew up in HB and have many fond memories. Good luck in your search, there seems to be a lot of vehicles coming out of Barstow.

jg210302

Welcome aboard! Be ready to spend many nights reading up on several threads.
Thanks! Already been there and still going, last night my wife asked me what the **** I was researching so much... I told her I wanted to buy a 6X6 and her response was... "Cool, get whatever makes you happy babe" that response alone makes me happy...

Welcome from Houston Texas, I grew up in HB and have many fond memories. Good luck in your search, there seems to be a lot of vehicles coming out of Barstow.
Thanks also! Born and for the most part raised here, but I wish I was in Texas, all I seem to see out of Barstow is 5 tons?

jg210302

Thanks for all of the welcome guys... Yeah, I have been doing a bunch of research for a long while... I am so **** torn, I seem to be able to find 5 tons locally for cheaper than I can find a deuce... I like all of the amenities of the 5 ton but not the CDL and stuff that goes with it... I really want to convert it to a removable camper so that I can put it back to stock for historical reasons but also make it more useful for the family... I really liked the idea of the expansible van body, because that would let me do both without giving up the correct military look... Any info, suggestions, or really and knowledge that you guys would like to pass on to me would be greatly appreciated...

offroadrunner

You might also check with Hundy - to see what trucks he might have left: http://www.100dollarman.com/ He's a good guy and had several trucks (deuces as well as CUCVs and 5-tons) for sale over the last few years.

Good luck with your search. I'm looking forward to seeing another green truck in HB. Let me know if you need help with anything.

Cheers,