• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Here we go again... *won't start*

Flea

Well, looks like trouble on the horizon.

Went out to move the Deuce so I could do a couple things I had planned.

Earlier this evening a few MV friends showed up and I fired her up for them/let her idle for about 5-10 minutes. Before they left, shut it down and drained the air tanks, then disconnected the batteries

Got out there about 15 minutes ago and connected the batteries, went around to the driver's side and climbed in. Switch on and buzzer starts, battery gauge reading normal. Hit the starter switch and it cranked for about a half a second and stopped. I released the button and tried it again -- nothing, not so much as a click.

Crap.

Popped the hood and checked ground wires. Checked connection on the battery. Checked the batteries with a batt. tester. Everything looks good. Checked the starter button -- no problems there. When I hit the starter button, I notice the battery gauge fluctuates just a hair, meaning there is a current draw somewhere...

Is my starter toast?

littlebob

If the tapping doesn't do it get a voltmeter and a friend and see if your getting voltage to the start wire on the solinoid. Make sure you are clear of any moving parts and the truck is in neutral in case it decides this was a temporary problem.

blybrook

Start with a time out, then give it a tough love if it doesn't want to crank. Have had to do it on several personal vehicles over the years. usually go straight to the starter housing with tough love, time outs only to solenoid.

Capt.Marion

Tap the starter housing. Also- chock the **** out of it, put it in neutral, put the T-case in neutral, set the parking brake, LEAVE THE ENGINE STOP CABLE OUT, and try jumping the starter solenoid.

You just want to see if that will get the starter working, you don't want to necessarily start the truck with your halfway shoved into the engine compartment. You definitely don't want it to catch and start running if it's left in gear, either...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Do both....if you have checked all the connections....check them again....this is a 40 year old or better truck.....light taps are better at first leading up to a vicious beating as your frustration increasesaua.

I have a little round wire brush that I can chuck into my cordless drill....makes cleaning the inside of the battery terminals a breeze. Make sure you have good contact between the posts and the terminals.

Check the battery switch too...they can go bad.....remember.......your truck was built by the lowest bidder and Mr. Murphy loves MV owners.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
While your in there, Check your voltage at the relay. Its just above the starter on the side of the motor. Sounds like it is what is causing your issues, not the starter. You would(should) have heard a click if it was working.

area52

I have had that same thing happen to me and I tried wiggling the back of the start button to see if it had bad connections - sure enough it started.

Flea

I've already verified the starter button isn't what's causing it.

I'll have to get out there in the daylight and work on it tomorrow. I think I'll give the love tap to the starter first, then work on the relay and move on from there.

I really hope the thing isn't fried.

Barrman

You said you checked the starter button, but how about your master on/off switch? If it isn't all the way on, your starter button won't work. I agree with Chris though. Follow the voltage from the switch to the button to the relay to the solenoid to the starter.

ida34

I had the starter stick on me Saturday night. I was on the way back from Motor Muster at Henry Ford when I stopped for fuel around 9pm. I joked with the kids. I asked which one was going to call mom and tell her to bring the towbar and the F-350. A couple of seconds after this I pushed in the stop cable and turned on the master. Hit the button and nothing at all. I tried a few times with nothing. Battery voltage was good by the gauge. I took out the hammer and gave the starter solenoid a couple of hits (punishment not abuse). Got in and she fired right up. You can't let these trucks act like the boss. You have to show them who is boss. We loaded up and no further problems starting. I then gave the old school speech to the kids to hit the starter if it does not work. I also cautioned them against hitting the copper parts.

Flea

Well, after pulling the batteries to charge them, it looks like they were *extremely* drained (like 30% charge). So I'm topping them back up today and we'll see what happens.

Flea

Gotta be the starter... jumped the solenoid and nothing. Lots of sparks, but not so much as a clunk. Wore the dang thing out with a hammer, too. :evil:

Anyone had one rebuilt before? What's a reasonable cost?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have pulled mine apart and cleaned up the contacts. Worked wonders on mine. I think you should try it. Make sure you mark how the nose cone is clocked, it will be easier to put it back together, but not mandatory.

Rattlewagon

Gotta be the starter... jumped the solenoid and nothing. Lots of sparks, but not so much as a clunk. Wore the dang thing out with a hammer, too. :evil:

Anyone had one rebuilt before? What's a reasonable cost?

if you're sure it's the starter... pull it, take it apart, post up some pics. I'm sure someone around here can help you out with either some tips or parts or even a good starter.

might just need new brushes and the commutator cleaned. I hope it's that easy! :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks