• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heres another question that shows my ignorance for everything automotive.

Strong50

Soooo. I bought a 5000 watt inverter to run off of the truck batteries. I switched over to 4, Exide 31XPD batteries. Can i just wire in 2 more 31xpd batteries onto the 12 volt string to add more reserve capacity when the truck is not running? There is plenty of room in the battery box?

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How big is your alternator?

The load presented to the alternator when the batteries are run down is going to be the determining factor as to how many you can add in parallel without some type of switching arrangement. ie: being able to switch in the other two after the regular four are nearly charged.
If your alternator will handle 4 batteries that are drawn down, then adding two more might overload the alternator's amperage capacity.

Strong50

How big is your alternator?
The load presented to the alternator when the batteries are run down is going to be the determining factor as to how many you can add in parallel without some type of switching arrangement. ie: being able to switch in the other two after the regular four are nearly charged.
If your alternator will handle 4 batteries that are drawn down, then adding two more might overload the alternator's amperage capacity.
100 Amps

Aernan

Those 100 amp alternator are actually two 50 amp outputs. 12 V DC @50 amp and another at 24 V DC from what I have read. Or possibly it's 100 amps split across both voltages

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks