• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Here's My MEP-002A/3A Set-Up

rustystud

This is how I use my MEP-003A and MEP-002A generators. When the power first goes out I use my MEP-003A, then if the power is still off when it's time to go to bed, I switch to the MEP-002A. This way I can power the whole house.124.jpg126.jpg136.jpg123.jpg131.jpgThe generators are hocked up to a 250 gallon fuel tank. I also have spin on oil and fuel filters on both units. We lose power on average 6 times a year. Usually it's only for a day (18 hours), but it has gone for over 11 days.

Attachments

Chrispyny

Dude, the cool factor is off the charts. Question, whats up with the wierd blobs of black and green paint in random places like on the oil filter and transfer box ?

oliveone

Nice set up. I have just got my MEP 803A 10KW TQG set up and test run. Now looking to get a MEP 802A 5 KW TQG. Then build a shed and run some wire. Will be looking back at your set up when I do mine.

FloridaAKM

Looks like it is under the edge of the house, due to the dirt in front. The lack of mufflers would drive me to wear earmuffs or ear plugs. My efforts with a 3kw MEP-016A genset didn't end up so nice. It killed my Direct TV system & afew other small devices.

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it is under the edge of the house, due to the dirt in front. The lack of mufflers would drive me to wear earmuffs or ear plugs. My efforts with a 3kw genset didn't end up so nice.
The MEP-002a and 003a both DO have mufflers.

Looks good, Now that you're ready you'll not have any more extended outages to use the set-up.

FloridaAKM

I was guessing about the location being outside because of the leaves & the green grass. Not being familiar with those units, lead me to not realize that the exhaust was after the muffler, not before........my bad; still an awesome setup that will cause the gremlins that kill grid power in your area to move down the line to bother someone less prepared.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
. My efforts with a 3kw MEP-016A genset didn't end up so nice. It killed my Direct TV system & afew other small devices.
We don't need to hijack this thread but I wish you would start a thread on what happened here. I'd like to know so I don't suffer the same fate.

rustystud

Nice Job, I'm sure you put a guard over the output lugs when its running, They have earned my respect on my mep002 .
I should take a better picture. The generators are under a roof. I built a lean too next to my concrete block building, which used to be the "generator building" when I used a small generator. At one point I only had generator power (for 4 years). Then power was finally run to my place. Also this building is over 400ft away from the house, facing away so I don't hear anything.
As far as the gremlins go, power just went out 2 days ago ! We live in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains which means we're at the end of the line for power, which is why it took so long to get power out here in the first place. It is funny to note that my wife still gets her panties in a bunch when I talk about the generators. She thought the old gensets we used where just fine. She forgets all the times I came running into the kitchen telling her to turn off the microwave because the well pump just kicked in, or how many times the capacitors blew out. It got so bad on my last genset that I routed the wires outside of the unit and used wire-ties to hold the capacitors on with. Also those gensets cost over $2000.00 each and usually lasted only 4 years ! Now with these units I expect to be able to pass them on to my son when I'm gone.

Last edited:

Ray70

Very nice work! :not worthy: 2 questions I would like to ask out of curiosity... I can't see clearly in the pic., but was wondering why you have the couduit running up to and possibly holding the buzz bar cover open rather than drilling into the side and attaching another LB fitting so the cover can be kept closed? Also wondering if doing so ( solidly attached conduit) would create a problem with vibration cracking the conduit over time??
Also wondering if the locking fill cap on your fuel tank is sealed or is it a loose fitting cap? Looks like all other vents are plugged so I was wondering how you're venting the tank?

captain

Can you go in to a little more detail about what you used as a transfer switch between the 2 gens and also what you have to do when switching between gens. I imagine anything sensitive in the house will have to be shut down as power will be shut off for a few moments. I was looking at getting an 002a to go with my 004a for when I dont need the extra juice.

rustystud

Very nice work! :not worthy: 2 questions I would like to ask out of curiosity... I can't see clearly in the pic., but was wondering why you have the couduit running up to and possibly holding the buzz bar cover open rather than drilling into the side and attaching another LB fitting so the cover can be kept closed? Also wondering if doing so ( solidly attached conduit) would create a problem with vibration cracking the conduit over time??
Also wondering if the locking fill cap on your fuel tank is sealed or is it a loose fitting cap? Looks like all other vents are plugged so I was wondering how you're venting the tank?
The tank is vented at that 'U' shaped pipe. I drilled a 1/8" hole in the plug. Your right about the conduit. The vibration would break the fittings. I used rubber mounts to hold down the units, so it does move a little. The locking cap has a gasket.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks