• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heres something that will make all u cucv owners cringe over lol

Southern,
Best advice given to me when I joined the site.......
Read the TM's, no REALLY read the TM's....
Print out a section at a time and read them while near or in the truck....
You will soon discover how everything should be or if your case should have been..
I went through a couple of months of "guessing"

I didn't learn to repair them that way in the Army, but I guess I figured I'd remember what the TM said or maybe discover a "better" way than the correct procedure as detailed in the TM......
I now read the appropriate TM section before each attempt to "restore" the vehicle....
I wish the civvy world had the equivalent of the TM......!!!

Wiring can be frustrating and probably the most daunting task you will complete.... It sometimes looked like a bowl of spaghetti exploded under the hood or dash....

Just take your time, ask questions.........

I will Definitly Heed The warning lol truck is a 3rd vehicle would love to get the electrical straight first belts wont stay tight so its a must before i put it on the road its got have someother things so i will be doing some reading Thanks again for the info Guys :beer:

kassim503

Your belts dont stay tight? I had that problem until I discovered a missing bolt on the ps pump bracket.

If its your ALT's that are loosening up, try replacing them with a gates green stripe belt. They seem to not stretch out as easily with all the strain those alternators can put on the 1 belt spinning it

HTH

davidkroberts

man what is it about fire depts and wiring on vehicles. I got hold of a M715 they had used as a water truck and it looked awful. You couldnt believe what silliness i found while pokinng around. I ended up having to trace about half of the harness to get the truck back to stock running condition.

Brad M

I found the same blue wire/connector disconnected on my M1008. The PO had the GP bypassed but I have been looking in the TM's all afternoon and cannot find the connector. I will have to trace it on the other side of the firewall to find out where it goes.

Well it seems i have stumbled on to a few things lol its all good thanks guys for all the help[thumbzup] i hope to work on it some this weekend Oh yeah i think the firedepts wire light bars and strobes who knows im not upset I didnt pay an arm and leg for this Cucv one of the previous owners told me i stole it lol JOKING i think i got a good deal on it considering

rnd-motorsports

that blue wire with the plug on it you ask about is a factory install it starts in the factory harness on the female side of a plug under the steering colume under the dash the male end of the plug on mine anyways is empty and the plug end under the hood like yours just dangles I think it is used for cruise control on gneral prodution trucks will check into further. And yes I am retired captain and chief for short while from Fire Dept and everybody trys to get there hands in on fixing things and hooking up lights and (sometimes Most of the time)make a mess and more problems trying to help!

Last edited:
M1008 Cucv I love my Chevy ****UPDATE*****

:beer:Well as you all all know i have had a time with this thing But im finally making some head way in the right direction.Got it running Got new Gear reduction starter,new filters and fixed a few other electrical problems i have yet to figure out the alts still doing some research AKA reading the site. But as time goes on ill post more For yall THANKS EVERYONE WHOS INVOLVED WITH THE SITE A SALUTE To all of ya :beer:and all of the Steel Soldiers Members i hope to one day Be able to meet some of ya

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well First off this what the previous owners have done Im defintely gonna have to get a print out of the electrical diagrams lol when i get time to go thru this thing the other pics are for yall amusement lol im gonna try to clean this up and make it look like a militray truck under the hood Starting with 2 original alt these were aftermarket. On the pass side instead of a sleeve at the bottom bolt theirs 15 washers or so just hangin in the wind lol sorry u cant see them didnt take a pic low enough

question is the pic of me holdin the blue wire with a single black plug on it i was curious if one of u knows where its suppose to go or what its for

As for the pic where the duct tape is im kinda scared to take it off lol not sure why it was used

Also what is the thing on the fire wall down in the bottom pic with made in korea (im a newbie lol )First diesel i have ever owned (thanks oldsouthern boy For tellin me what that was )
From my view, you have some scary looking stuff under that hood there my friend. Looks like the back batt is held down by a bungee cord and the front doesn't have ANYTHING holding it down. A good bump or emergency stop, heck even a little fender bender could launch those batts right into the radiator... are they still 24volts?

If I were you I'd be scared, real scared...

Work safe and Good Luck with that thing!

Lol MY friend the truck doesnt look nothing like that under the hood anymore thanks for The good chuckle im trying to figure out how i wont to mount the batteries i kind like both of them in the same tray closer to the fire wall just gotta figure out the safest and best way trying to use orginal battery tray but i have been contenplating making my own out of steel and use the orginal mounts truck is underconstruction so it might be awhile before she hits pavement :driver:

K9Vic

As far as i know one alt is 12 and the other is 24 volts. At least that's the way my 1028 is. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Sure I will correctly you as you are incorrect.

All 84-87 CUCVs but the M1010 have two 12v alternators that are in series like the batteries to produce 24v total. The driver side outputs 12v and the passenger side is 12v but adds the driver side to total output to 24v. This is why you may see 24v, it is simply in series to make 24v for military appliances. They are all still 12v alternators and can be swapped with each other. They are specially fitted with an isolated ground and can not be found with the extra ground at an auto parts store unfortunately.

The M1010 has two 24v alternators on the passenger side due to the A/C compressor on the driver side. The dual 24v alternators are for the added 24v appliances that may be run in the back. The A/C and heating unit are both 24v and to get the 12v for the truck there is a blue box that down steps 24v to 12v. This box is also well known for failure, but you can replace it with a modern 24v to 12v converter, however they are very expensive.

K9Vic

As for fire departments butchering these I think it has more to due with them adding their 12v emergency lights and systems. The lack of their knowledge of the 12v side of the battery and alternator to install their flashy lights and siren. If they would just read the TMs and this site mostly they can wire all the emergency equipment plus a 24v winch. They send these trucks to shops that know nothing about 24v to 12v conversion and just hack it up. Then can not figure out what is wrong and sell it to let someone else deal with it. So anyone that may wants to buy a x-fire used CUCV, look it over real close.

My M1009 has many 12v appliances that I installed and everything is properly fused and grounded.

Iamnewatthis

I don't know, I'm not familiar with these vehicles. but thought they would have come with one 24volt alternator.
Standard is 2 alternators and 2 batteries.
You most likely need to change that glow plug relay. Then mount it.
Also the starter relay.
Check out the forum for this vehicle, the second tacked thread I believe is stuff
you need to know/do from guys on here that know allot more than i do.

Well Guys and Girls. Got MY baby Running like a champ. Shes doin good just put on the new alternators today Started getting dark so i had to quit got it cranked and my hot wire for the 12volt ignition poped a 30 amp fuse ran for a sec and fuse blew not sure what caused it found a wire with voltage touching the floor board aint sure what it goes to so im hopeing that was it. Also my gen 2 lite still doesnt come on after the 2 new alts but we will get to mess with it tommrow any ideas throwem out im game and thoughts i would be greatful

Gp solenoid (NEW)
8 new ac 13gs Glow plugs (NEW)
2 new alternators
1 new starter gear reduction
time and labor free
thought of driving it off a cliff priceless

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks