• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hey, all ideas please...1953 m37!!

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, maybe just aim to get her running properly instead of a complete overhaul. I actually prefer to drive un-restored trucks that work well. Repairing dents and faded paint are not my forte.

Rick

deaner450

and im glad to hear restoring it would be a better decision, it would really be a shame to pull it apart. iv been asking around on other sites and most people tell me it wouldnt be worth it to restore, and that they are still pretty common.
As far as Restoration, we would need more Information. How Original is it? Does it have any bad Rust? Is the Engine Original and does it Run? Is it still 24 Volts Electrical System? Are the Brakes any good? Are the Transmission and Differentials Original? How does the Interior of the Cab look?

everything from the wheels to the wipers works and are original, the interior of the cab is fine, except the inside foam on the hard top, some small rust spots on the box rails, starter slips a little bit, but it fires right away, still a 24 volt system, original wire harness, e break dosnt hold but breaks are good, the transmission and dif should be original too, how would i check this.

Bill W

Wow
A Canadian M-37 (CDN)
They come with the bigger (251ci) engine and fully syncro'd ( Acme) tranny, where as the American M-37 has the 230ci and a tranny that only syncro'd in 3 & 4th gear.
If memory serves me right they made less the 5000 of these (Canadian ) 37's
Its been years but Brian Asbury in Canada use carry parts for CDN ( & American) M-37

Jinx

everything from the wheels to the wipers works and are original, the interior of the cab is fine, except the inside foam on the hard top, some small rust spots on the box rails, starter slips a little bit, but it fires right away, still a 24 volt system, original wire harness, e break dosnt hold but breaks are good, the transmission and dif should be original too, how would i check this.
Sounds like it doesn't need restoring. Just fix the starter and e-brake and you're good to go.

vtdeucedriver

Get on the G741, put some pain on it and drive it:grd: Fine looking M-37 If you want "Power Steering" put on locking hubs on the front axle. I am a purist and I ran with the stock hubs and the biggest thing I noticed when I installed the AVM hubs was that it was MUCH easier to steer!!!! So for me it was like adding power steering.

pwrwagonfire

Nice looking truck!

It looks like its in good shape. I'm currently doing a not really restoration...I look at it as more of a re-furb. Getting the truck running/driving/stopping good, maybe that'd be up your alley! Then you could take one small piece at a time

If the e-brake doesn't work, start there! Help to keep the truck in place while your working on it.

I agree with the comments on the hubs, I installed a set of Warn hubs on my last summer, and our power wagons at work have them makes the truck easier handling wise

Last edited:

ranger.41

I agree with powerwagonfire, keep it running use it and enjoy it. It can sometimes be difficult to keep focused on your restoration when other projects need to be done and it goes untouched for too long, or there are less funds to do the job. Now if you have a garage and can keep focused on the restoration, go for it. Life some times passes us by.
I chose to use it some, and work on it as I can find tyhe funds. Remember these famous last words "Its supposed to be fun!"
ranger.41

Attachments

steelypip

Oh, and grease everything! You'll be amazed at how much easier the steering gets when there's lubrication at all the metal-to-metal points.

It's also worth mentioning that trucks that are driven regularly are happier trucks. Sitting kills these things. It's much better for you to drive it around and enjoy it a little than it is to let it sit waiting for restoration time. Now if you can park it under cover it'll need less work over time, but otherwise it's all good.

pwrwagonfire

Oh, and grease everything! You'll be amazed at how much easier the steering gets when there's lubrication at all the metal-to-metal points.

It's also worth mentioning that trucks that are driven regularly are happier trucks. Sitting kills these things. It's much better for you to drive it around and enjoy it a little than it is to let it sit waiting for restoration time. Now if you can park it under cover it'll need less work over time, but otherwise it's all good.
VERY true! Sitting, especially for long period kills the brakes on these old power wagons and M37s

majorhitt

Nice truck I have a 54 M37CND, I wish mine looked this good.The hard top looks perfect,I like the slider rear window, and the passenger side mirror is still there. Again Nice VERY nice truck.

sktww

Wow
A Canadian M-37 (CDN)
They come with the bigger (251ci) engine and fully syncro'd ( Acme) tranny, where as the American M-37 has the 230ci and a tranny that only syncro'd in 3 & 4th gear.
If memory serves me right they made less the 5000 of these (Canadian ) 37's
Its been years but Brian Asbury in Canada use carry parts for CDN ( & American) M-37
i was not aware that american trannys were only syncro'd in 3rd and 4th only. i thought mine was bad

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
THAT M37 is perfect for a GOOD restoration would be a complet shame to mod/screw it up in any way, the truck is beautiful right now, unless you restore it correctly into its original shape you would be doing a huge disservice to this vehicle. YOU want to mod something go find a Civy ford,dodge or chevy and have at it, THIS M-37 is WAY to nice to wreck! OK I will not get off my HIGH HORSE!,
KK

sapper740

No place like the Okanogan!

hey M37's
i just came across this awsome 53 m37, what should i do with it, what would it be good for, should i just restore it, i definatly want to drive it around, need power steering and bigger tires, ideas and input please.
Whatever you do, don't Bubba-ize it. The future value of your truck will not be how big a V8 you crammed into it or how much suspension lift it's got, but how original it is. Contact Western Command on the Coast...they have several Dodge owners in that group to give you ideas.

Good luck!

Ex-Vancouverite Derek.