• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hey Guys! Been a long time! Duramax question and an overdue howdy

cruzer747

So it has been a few years since the CZU fires came and went, then the pandemic, and finally I did something I was not sure was possible but I/we bought our first home which where I live is quite a feat for the average joe. So it was affordable only because it is such a project but it is in the perfect spot (fairly secluded woods) in my hometown and I am beside myself when I think about my luck and it has been 2 years of hard work. I have not been able to take my m1010 camping at all. Heck, living here was like camping in the beginning and I was surely sleeping in the rig over winter as it was much warmer than the little cabin I call home.

Anywho, I miss being able to work on the truck projects but will be getting back at it in about a year.

Other than saying hello I wanted to ask a question that was bouncing around in my head a bit. Has anyone retrofit Chevy's 3.0 duramax I6 into anything yet? At a glance it seems like a really nice engine and availability from wreckers is becoming easier. I have not found anything on a cursory search but I would imagine that with some aftermarket controllers it would be great for throwing in other vehicles (like our cucvs) :D

Am I wrong on this one?

Anyhow, hope to be around more often and continue with my project where I left off soon!

87cr250r

The square bodies have a very shallow firewall notch so length is an issue for many swaps. Electric fans can free up space on the front of necessary. The frame rails are also somewhat narrow so look for routing options for the downpipe.

I put a center mount turbo 6.5 in my truck. I had to push the firewall back about 4 inches. I made a fiberglass doghouse. The gas pedal was the biggest challenge. The electronic pedal will be much simpler.

cruzer747

Yeah, that is what I am somewhat aware of... thats why I figured... or hoped (have not even found rough engine dimensions online on a brief search) that the 3.0L would be smaller and play nice size wise in a smaller engine bay.

I did find someone speculating about the same prospect last year in this forum (hope linking a diff site is ok) https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=835045

It will be interesting for sure if this gets sorted out to be a potential swap. Not that I im financially in a spot yet to pull one off but I do have a spare 6.5T that may be rebuildable laying in wait.... but again it will be a couple years so keeping my ear to the ground on other options. The power and fuel economy on the modern diesels is hard to ignore.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks