• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hey guys/gals newb here

cucv11

Hello guys and gals, just registered on this forum and I am glad i found it. I have alot of questions and I am sure I will have alot more if i ever win a bid on GL..lol Basically its with the CUCV m1009. I found one on GL and I read here that some of you have experience purchasing from them. Is it a strait forward process? Was a title readilly available to you when you presented the money due? I e-mailed them through the GL site but as of yet still no reply. My budget is around 1500 bucks. I have seen some in piss poor shape sell for that much but I am looking for a CUCV with a complete interior. Body doesnt matter as long as the floor boards are there i will be happy. Sheet metal is cheap finding a new interior on ebay is not..lol I just hope i win out on this auction. (keeps fingers crossed)

My question is other then the obvious flush tranny, change oil, change injectors inspect front end what else should i inspect? Are there problem areas to look for? Is the 24/12v reliable? I know many people have converted to 12v to save on the banks but is it worth it? Hows the 4x4 reliable? lockers ever give an issue?

How is the MPG? I have read anywhere from 20-29 possible. Does it have enough balls to move itself adequately? 135hp doesnt seem like much to move such a heavy vehicle even with the 3:08 gears. How are replacement parts? Costly? I read that it has no egr provisions will it still pass a smog test? I live in MA and this vehicle must pass the sniffer inorder to be registered. Thanks again! :D

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cucv11 said:
Hello guys and gals, just registered on this forum and I am glad i found it. I have alot of questions and I am sure I will have alot more if i ever win a bid on GL..lol Basically its with the CUCV m1009. I found one on GL and I read here that some of you have experience purchasing from them. Is it a strait forward process?
Yes, for the most part.

cucv11 said:
Was a title readilly available to you when you presented the money due?
Check the titling policy under the help section on GL. Search the forums for "GL title" and you will find more than you want to know. Research what your state requires first.

cucv11 said:
My budget is around 1500 bucks. I have seen some in piss poor shape sell for that much but I am looking for a CUCV with a complete interior. Body doesnt matter as long as the floor boards are there i will be happy. Sheet metal is cheap finding a new interior on ebay is not..lol I just hope i win out on this auction. (keeps fingers crossed)
You might be able to get a truck for that money, but it'll need some work. Don't forget the bid you place is only 90% of what you are really bidding (i.e. $1500 bid = $1650 bid)

cucv11 said:
My question is other then the obvious flush tranny, change oil, change injectors inspect front end what else should i inspect? Are there problem areas to look for? Is the 24/12v reliable? I know many people have converted to 12v to save on the banks but is it worth it? Hows the 4x4 reliable? lockers ever give an issue?
Normal mid-80's Chevy problems. 12/24 works fine, as long as everything is in good order. 4x4 is reliable. Rear Gov-Lock is junk, but usually doesn't cause too much trouble unless you are hard on the throttle and slipping a tire on ice/mud/etc.. and the other tire is on dry pavement when it locks up. That's a recipe for differential swap.

cucv11 said:
How is the MPG? I have read anywhere from 20-29 possible. Does it have enough balls to move itself adequately? 135hp doesnt seem like much to move such a heavy vehicle even with the 3:08 gears. How are replacement parts? Costly? I read that it has no egr provisions will it still pass a smog test? I live in MA and this vehicle must pass the sniffer inorder to be registered. Thanks again! :D
Moves out OK. Not a race car, but will do 70mph without complaint. Replacement parts (aside from 24V and other military stuff) are mid-80's Chevy parts. Can't speak to the smog test, but I imagine it will pass.

BTW: Welcome to SS!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Abandon hope (and wallet) all ye who enter here. :wink:

You will be sucked into the vortex of military vehicles. What the faithful call "green Iron fever". :driver:

One will never be enough. You will seriously consider owning a tank. The bigger the better. aua

You will congregate with kindred souls. Your former friends will whisper behind your back. :cookoo:

You won't be able to pass a junk yard without looking for a cammo paint job. :?:

The history channel will become a focus of your tv watching in hopes of seeing "some cool military vehicles".

Welcome to the Military Vehicle Support Group. :D

gasser

cucv11 said:
.... I live in MA and this vehicle must pass the sniffer inorder to be registered. ..
Hi there,

The vehicle should be exempted from state-level emissions due to it being designed and manufactured with medium duty parts. Blazer is a light-buty truck, so it can't be tested against that standard as the M1009 has a medium duty intake, amongst a few 'upgrades'. And it can't be tested for medium-duty because for example, because it doesn't weigh enough.

Also there is a nice, big sticker on the radiator core that says it's exempted because of national security. Since it was not manufactured to be tested, all states should adhere to this in some form or another.

When you register the truck, it may come up as a D10 Military MP (or something along those lines) - from there the state should recongize what it can / can't do with the requirements.

To sum this up and to relate, as in GA we also emission test diesels - my CUCVs were exempted. The DMV personell has told me consistently that the vehicle is exempt due to being ex-military. Now, if I have changed or modified the engine, then it may need to be tested because it would have changed from what it was produced at the factory.

All in all, I wouldn't worry about emissions. Focus more on the SF97/Title req's in the lovely state of Mass. :D

HTH,

-graham

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm thinking wreckerman is right. I think this is the only hobby where some will buy the trailer before the vehicle. Not only will one MV not be enough, you will find that eventually, each vehicle needs it's own trailer. Then there's the tents and the gensets and the ALICE packs and the mermite cans and the sleeping bags and the cots and the manuals and the engines in the can. Now you go out off road and the MV gets stuck. Now you just justfied getting a bigger MV and eventually it will be a wrecker. Of course once you have started the motorpool, it's not complete without a contact maintenance truck. With all these vehicles you will need a fuel trailer as well. Now you have everything you need to go to the rally. What do you find when you get there? Some other poor fool with the OD addiction but he's sleeping in the comfort of his tactically readapted shelter turned RV. You take a tour of the shelter and discover the world of green radios. Once you get into the green radios................

Seeing my point?

cucv11

Thanks for the welcome and the info. As far as the title goes yes i did look online at GL and it just stated that you have to present a 9jsf (sp?) form and have it filled out by a registrar? Other then that it wasnt too specific. I do not think i can register a vehicle in this state without a title and only a bill of sale. Once again thanks for the help :)

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After you do their "inspection" form, they give you the SF-97 ("Certificate to obtain title to a motor vehicle") from the government, but it's in their name. Thus, you should have them fill out and notarize a bill of sale for MA and pray that they DMV accepts both pieces and your paid invoice as proof you own it... :roll:

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
There are several good threads on MPG, but your range is about right. I have only run a few tests, but on my M1009 I am getting about 20MPG. I am still fixing things though.

Personally I think you have it wrong about buying for the interior vs. body. I would rather have a sound body. Most of the interiors even if good is old and uncomfotable. You will dream of upgrading anyways once you get one, and it is Spartan compared to a civi blazer. All you have is dash, seats, door covers, safety belts, controls, and spare tire mount. The dash will almost without exception be falling apart. The seats are ok, but are major comfort upgrades that I am looking forward to doing. Door panels are cheap, but may have to be painted to match. Other then that fix the other items as they break, or you feel like upgrading. Oh I forgot to add that you can get covers for many things to get you by until you get what you want.

Welcome to SS.

m.walker

I have most of the green stuff but I haven't slipped far enough for the radios yet , maybe a good excuse to get more vehicles before I feel the need for green radios ! Is this the way the desease progresses ?

pa.rich

Wreckerman describes this O.D. green disease perfectly! Many people whispering behind your back! L.O.L.I've only been here one year and two trucks, wife has given in, neibors all say,"what are you gonna do with those?"Fell like yellin at em "Its a hobbie stupid!" Now run along, leave me alone, and get yer own hobbie!Missed out on alot ofd fun in my past years, but I am gonna have some now! When I am dead and gone the fam can sell it all!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
And the guys are right... The MV slope is amongst the most slippery you will ever encounter...

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (sound of Wreckerman sliding headfirst down the slippery slope at an alarming rate) :shock:

I have only had two voccations in my life that were constant, the Army and driving a truck.

I have been around MV's most of my adult life. I guess they take me back to Germany, Korea and the days of my misspent youth back in the 70's (what I remember) and bring me comfort.

I get the feeling that more than a few of us on this forum are no longer spring chickens and that's fine. There are a lot of endeavors that are a lot more self destructive that this one.

My goal in life is to live long enough to be a burden to my kids and die flat broke with two acres of junk scattered around my shop.

My long suffering wife thinks this is just another passing fancy that I will tire of eventually.

But you know guys.........I think I'll stick around.

littlebob

Welcome to our world. This is the place where we share secrets and dream of that next one we will bid on GSA or GL. Once
you get started working on them, your Family may forget what you look like, because you spend so much time working on your project.
Good Luck!
littlebob

cucv11

thanks again for the welcome and the info. Yes I am aware that the interior is very spartan. The one I am looking at on GL right now has a few bad rust spots but the interior is complete including spare and jack. The only bad part is that the floors a swiss cheese and the wheel wells are going to need to be patched or replaced.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ok you lost me on your purchasing goals. You said you were looking for a interior over a good body. We said you should buy a body over the interior. You still said you were after the interior. The vehicle you were actually after was all good body and missing interior parts......... Anyways at least from the pictures that was a good truck that would have gone average or above price. Did you actually drive down to SC. to inspect that, because like I said from the pics there is no indication of rusty floorboards or inner fenders.

One thing I have learned from watching and buying on GL is that the prices go up and down for no reason. That one went for a premium though.

cucv11

builder77 said:
Ok you lost me on your purchasing goals. You said you were looking for a interior over a good body. We said you should buy a body over the interior. You still said you were after the interior. The vehicle you were actually after was all good body and missing interior parts......... Anyways at least from the pictures that was a good truck that would have gone average or above price. Did you actually drive down to SC. to inspect that, because like I said from the pics there is no indication of rusty floorboards or inner fenders.

One thing I have learned from watching and buying on GL is that the prices go up and down for no reason. That one went for a premium though.
Sorry for the confusion. As for my goal and condition of the m1009 i wish to purchase. 1.) Operational or not far from it 2.) If operational would prefer a somewhat complete interior to drive it home IE, do not want to be guessing my MPH with no dash or speedo and sitting on a milk crate. 3.) Body is obviously going to have rust. It just depends on the severity. I am obviously not going to purchase a vehicle that has more cancer then sheet metal.

I am looking to purchase an m1009 for winters snow storms and or recreational vehicle for off roading and camping trips.

I was commenting on the price of this vehicle compared to its condition. Without it being drive-able and its lack of working instruments i was surprised it went for such a high price. Its a 20+ year old vehicle and its going to have rust it just depends on the amount. This vehicles body appeared to be in decent shape.

Granted if you buy it for a project thats one thing but this was my rational:
If you pay 2600 bucks for a chassie you will still need a dash, motor/ tranny work and whatever odds and ends could easily place you over 4 large. Depending if the motor/tranny needed a rebuild then you are talking close to 6k for a truck that is still going to need body work/restoration. It just doesn't make sense to me to spend that amount on such a costly project unless it was purchased for the body panels which is a very likely event since those will ultimately be worth more then the price of the vehicle as a whole if parted out correctly.

These trucks are an unknown and i would have thought that the price would reflect that. Not having service records or any documentation of any kind about the vehicle. It could have been sitting in a surplus lot for the past 8 years without an oil change or any type of preventive maintenance and the second you get the truck on the hw it could spin a rod or throw a bearing, blow a break line etc. I have bought cars at public auctions before and usually if the vehicle is inoperable or in need of parts/repair the vehicle price is so reflected. Granted the GL lots start at 50 bucks but i have seen some ridiculousness as far as high bidding goes.

There was an m1009 in the classifieds section of this website in VT. that was asking 3500 i believe for a truck with a body/interior and motor in far better condition. That to me is a fair asking price. I have seen some in previous want ads that were asking 2500 for a vehicle that was drive able and just needed body restoration. Once again to me that is an acceptable price. But to pay 2600 for a beat torn apart truck just doesnt make sence to me unless like i said its for the parts for resale.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks