• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hey is alfa heaven the only dealers to get restored iron

maritimer

hey guys i am looking to get into business for myself, and been looking at some of the bigger wreckers as well as a duce or 2, well i know where to get the dueces at a reasonable price * yes a member here who i have previously contacted*. but for the life of me i cannot find a decent wrecker for a decent prices and while every time i look at the gorgeous wrecker at alfa heaven i get that warm fuzzy feeling inside * much like you would get at a peeler joint* :wink: , its kinda difficult to explain the $40k + shipping, importing and taxes on it to she who shall be obeyed.
any other dealers with online catologs and decent prices.
i am kinda looking for somthing as big and tough looking as the one at alfa but that isnt gonna have me begging the banker to badly lol.
thanks in advance

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
there is white owl,eastern surplus, john winslow, that is just a few

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
add memphis equipment and oshkosh equipment to the above group, all the dealers are high in price, i would check with winslow and eastern first, thay both are good to deal with and are better on there prices

jason@snakeriver

You need to do more homework. As much as I like the dealers, and when they go out the door - they work. But if you buy off of GovLiq, most 800 wreckers go for $10,000 to &20,000 range. I run a M-819 that I bought for $15,000.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
he may have to do the dealer thing because he is in canada,

if you are not going to do rear winch recovery work, the 819 would work real nice for you, it is longer than the wrecker (543, 818), it seems to keep the front on the ground better, has 26' of boom and enclosed operators cab, which in you neck of the woods might be nice to have and you could pull a long goose neck low bed ( green) trailer to haul some of the recovered stuff

devilman96

That wrecker at AH is not a stock job... He has that thing so rodded out its not funny. Its a sweet truck and he has it for sale... but doesnt really care if he sells it I guess would be a good way of putting it!!!

and yes he will need a dealer for the export, that alone usually tacks on a few K in the purchase.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Winslow does not sell restored trucks. He sells nice trucks, good reliable trucks, but they are not by any means even close to restoration standards. You need to do the resto part before he gets to the truck. That does not mean he can't help, but he is not really set up to handle true restorations.

citizensoldier

devilman96 said:
That wrecker at AH is not a stock job... He has that thing so rodded out its not funny. Its a sweet truck and he has it for sale... but doesnt really care if he sells it I guess would be a good way of putting it!!!

and yes he will need a dealer for the export, that alone usually tacks on a few K in the purchase.
I have seen this truck up close and personal. It has many extras and changes on it to make hauling and using it easier. Nice truck just a bad color... Hehehehe...

Attachments

majortom

I just came across this post and got a kick out of the fact that my wrecker is a topic, so i thought i should put my two cents worth in. Yes, this truck is extensively modified i have had many different military wreckers over the years, there cool and fun to play around with, but have way to many limitations to really use on a daily basis as a recovery unit. The rear dead winch either blows the case in half or flys off the back of the truck when trying to pull a loaded concrete truck out of swamp or winch a county dump-truck back up a cliff. The poles to keep the truck from sliding fold like pretzels under pressure the Christmas tree towing configuration sucks, The boom on the M-60 is very fragile etc. etc. etc., for over forty years i have been using and abusing wreckers. Of the various Five-Ton wreckers I think that the best starting point is an M-543 I like the turn table and boom plus the maneuverability, as far as the comment about weight on the front axle if you look at the back of my truck you'll see the massive outriggers and winch setup that we have added you'll also notice a new set of legs to hold the boom when towing. As far as why I've deiced to sell the vehicle and the price, First i have waaay to many toys (four wreckers). And second i know how much money i have spent on this truck. My truck is not only fully D.O.T and I.C.C. compliant (mandatory of any commercial use) but has had all of the weak-points of the design dealt with, and in the reality of selling heavy equipment you have to price the vehicle as a delivered to door number for example to ship that truck from Wisconsin to eastern Canada would cost at least 4,000 dollars, probably more. All and all i think i have the coolest five ton wrecker out there, and if some one dosen't many me a reasonable offer on the unit I'll just keep using it. After all its a lot of fun to go to a M.V. event with a red truck extend the boom with C.U.C.V.s, M-715s, etc. from the hook. If the truck is still around after i finish restoring the ten-ton we are going to plant a 400 Cummings with ninespeed inner. just because we can. thanks for the interest.

Crash_AF

I'd like to start a discussion about the strengths and weaknesses of the military wreckers in real world use because I think real world experience with them would be extremely useful. See my other post so we don't clutter up this one.

Later,
Joe

maritimer

majortom said:
I just came across this post and got a kick out of the fact that my wrecker is a topic, so i thought i should put my two cents worth in. Yes, this truck is extensively modified i have had many different military wreckers over the years, there cool and fun to play around with, but have way to many limitations to really use on a daily basis as a recovery unit. The rear dead winch either blows the case in half or flys off the back of the truck when trying to pull a loaded concrete truck out of swamp or winch a county dump-truck back up a cliff. The poles to keep the truck from sliding fold like pretzels under pressure the Christmas tree towing configuration sucks, The boom on the M-60 is very fragile etc. etc. etc., for over forty years i have been using and abusing wreckers. Of the various Five-Ton wreckers I think that the best starting point is an M-543 I like the turn table and boom plus the maneuverability, as far as the comment about weight on the front axle if you look at the back of my truck you'll see the massive outriggers and winch setup that we have added you'll also notice a new set of legs to hold the boom when towing. As far as why I've deiced to sell the vehicle and the price, First i have waaay to many toys (four wreckers). And second i know how much money i have spent on this truck. My truck is not only fully D.O.T and I.C.C. compliant (mandatory of any commercial use) but has had all of the weak-points of the design dealt with, and in the reality of selling heavy equipment you have to price the vehicle as a delivered to door number for example to ship that truck from Wisconsin to eastern Canada would cost at least 4,000 dollars, probably more. All and all i think i have the coolest five ton wrecker out there, and if some one dosen't many me a reasonable offer on the unit I'll just keep using it. After all its a lot of fun to go to a M.V. event with a red truck extend the boom with C.U.C.V.s, M-715s, etc. from the hook. If the truck is still around after i finish restoring the ten-ton we are going to plant a 400 Cummings with ninespeed inner. just because we can. thanks for the interest.
sir, i hope you dont or didnt find my post offensive in any way it wasnt ment to be. i relize just from the photo's exactly how much time and money must have been put into your beautifull rig to get it in the shape and condition it is, and if i had the cash on hand for your rig it would be my first and only choice as i know exactly how well it is maintained and theextent of mods it has had done just by looking at the various pics. while my cash on hand doesnt allow for such a large purchase at this time for a first company rig, i was just looking for other options in the same area opf vehicles that better suited my start up budget. in respect to shipping i had already assumed given its size will require sole load out on a flat bed/low boy and as such would be looking somewhere i nthe vacinity of $10k from wis to my location as well as the duties/taxes on the canadian side which is why i was looking for a more cost effective starting point. if it was just the buy price of the truck i had to worry about i would be giving you call and taking it at asking price.
again i hope you didnt take offence to my post and relize i ment no disrespect to you or your truck.

maritimer

73m819 said:
he may have to do the dealer thing because he is in canada,

if you are not going to do rear winch recovery work, the 819 would work real nice for you, it is longer than the wrecker (543, 818), it seems to keep the front on the ground better, has 26' of boom and enclosed operators cab, which in you neck of the woods might be nice to have and you could pull a long goose neck low bed ( green) trailer to haul some of the recovered stuff
as for the dealer thing well as long as it is a vehicle titled in the US purchaseing can be done through a dealer or privatly both has equals amount of paperwork at customs and both requiore same RIV inspection once it reaches canada.
the rear winch is essential as alot of my work will likely entail hauling fishing boats up out of the water while the extra boom length would be usefull and the operators cab will make my girlfriend like me more *shes the driver of any gear that requires use of two legs to drive* the shortness of the 543 and rear winch really lends to the pro side of things. also the rotating boom affords me better felxability for things like dock work and over bridge recovery. as my business will be strickly winching and boom work with very little if any towing of vehicles, also will be trying to get the local reserve contract as the unit requires to hire a private flatbed OTR truck to haul any and all repairs*yes that includes boosts* 3 hours north at a rate of $1500 per vehicle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks