• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hey, there is a rock in the road.....

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you Prospector. Clearly its a work in progress. Each time I take it on the trail we do an "after action assessment" to improve for next time :

1. Locking front differential is a GOOD thing. next time remember to engage BOTH front hubs :)
2. 10 psi w/ double beadlocks is a GOOD thing.
3. To improve turning radius I moved the crossover steering link to the "near hole". Not good, put it back to the "far hole". The turning radius is acually pretty good, I ended up sacrificing steering leverage. The steering box tapped out on several occasions.
4. Related to #3, add hydro-assist for the next trail run.
5. Opening the front fenders was a good thing. Need to trim the front of the fender flare (or the bumper) just abit to allow for body flex. I free-handed the cutouts + flares from cut M35A2 fenders just to experiment. When I have the dimensions dialed in then I will do them over again welded up nice.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Josh, I don't have a build thread. I guess I could start one from here forward, though it isn't anything extraordinary. Some guys get real excited about cup holders 'n such, but I go the otherway and downplay the mods. Mostly because I haven't done anything y'all haven't already seen. Work in it so far :

Basically the running gear from M1008 moved over to the M1009,

Dana 60 front w/ detroit, 4.56, dually hubs.
14 bolt rear w/ detroit, 4.56
gen 1 8 bolt H1 wheels with cut-down mag runflats.
4" skyjacker lift, I have mixed feelings about it though, rides like a dump truck.
ORD crossover, that was a big deal. When these trucks are at full droop driver, full stuff passenger, it won't steer in stock configuration.

Upon installation of the hydro-assist, the money invested in the frontend will exceed the value of the vehicle, so watch out for that if you do same :)

Oh, the color, well, the truck was born 383 green, painted over with 686 tan. But the tan has oxidized/faded so the green shows thru. I guess we have to make up a color, 1069 gran ?

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Nice work. The truck looks great.

I wonder what the men from all sides that fought in North Africa would have thought about these capabilities. Would they have said WOW or Eh, we did that on the fly in our jeeps. Then again, jeeps are one thing...a supply convoy is another.

JoshHefnerX

I've got a civvy that was given to me, so the price of the new batt and rear window motor I've got into it already exceeded the price lol. Going to do a behr paint camo job and looking to swap d60/14bff. Already has a 4" tc-ez springs and shackle flip. I had another one w/ same setup and it rode pretty nice - pain in the ass swapping out the rear hangers though.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the positive vibes guys.

No, don't stay home, get out there and enjoy your truck. My experience is to let the trails in your area tell you how you set up your truck, not fancy catalogs. An example is the physics of skinny tire theory. Its a popular topic with the expedition vehicle guys, the math looks correct, but what I see on the rocky trails here in AZ does not support the theory. Another example is the antenna mount on the rear quarter of some CUCVs : The trail told me pretty quickly that has to come off :)

Dual exhaust comes out the sides behind the rear wheels.

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

I really like the way m1008 sounds straight piped. Its got a good rumble at idle that's not to loud.
At 1500 its got at little pop then again at 2500 but louder and at 3500 its popping if your under a load. Just running around 45-60 its not bad. I've had a few of my buddy running behind me and they said it wasn't overly loud.I've had several cops behind me and never got stopped. I had 2.5 in true duals and 5 in slant cut tips that are about 20 in long. I'll post some pics tonight and if I can figure out how I'll post a video. Is possible to post a video from a smart phone on here?

CUCVLOVER

Sorry i was in a hurry.
I was going to video my truck running so you could get an idea of what it would sound like. But I had some stuff come up and then I wasn't sure how to post a video (I'll look into it).
So if you look on YouTube there is a lot of videos about straight piped cucv's and trucks with the same engine that's where I got an idea of how mine would sound.

Ilikemtb999

Got it. I ran mine with a straight 3" pipe that dumped in front of the rear wheel, hated it. Put the biggest glass pack I could fit in it and it's much better but still loud. I need to get a downpipe re worked that goes between the engine and frame so I can run full length exhaust again and have room for a larger muffler.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks