• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HF packs

Rich Johnson

So, Bob asked about HF packs. I wanted to keep the antenna page on topic hoping it would become a sticky because I think its important.

As for useablity of HF packs available.
THe israili PRC-174 is awesome even though mine wont work right on 80m.
They are heavy, I have a big battery box with two 12v Gell cells in it. they do AME, USB and LSB. Heavy for going mobile on a pack, but great. Im shure some techno super LI batteries would be way lighter and make up a big difference.

The prc-74 is a trick to operate, they are very finicky to tune in, requiring several steps to get it right on freq, and to do it correct so you dont nuke the finals, but they are a kick for a collector to have, dont know if I would make it my primary HF pack set.

THe PRC-104 (RT-1209) is a great radio, desireable, expensive to buy, and expensive to repair. I have the GRC_193 base station of the version and love it. If I could get another PRC-104 complete I would so I could go mobile and make it my primary HF back pack. There are also a few vehicle adapeters available for this radio and accessories making it very versatile.

THe Brittish PRC-132 (Ithink) is quite popular and very nice. I have a friend that uses it reliably while mobile.

If you have tons of money and can afford it and find one, a HArris PRC-138 is in the mix, look at about 5k, then look for an antenna, but you wont find a cooler better radio on the market.

Thats about all I can say of the top of my head.

Wile E. Coyote

Rockwell's PRC-515/ RU-20 is a good rig too, though bigger than a PRC-104 (which, ultimately, is why everyone but Canada, Yugoslavia and some USMC contracts went with the PRC-104 instead.) They're a bit on the heavy side and I find the pack arrangement quite bulky, but the radio itself is excellent. Most of them on the market are the ones that were license-produced in the Former Yugoslavia using Rockwell Collins Canada parts etc. (called the RU-20), but some are ex-CDN units or ex-USMC units with English panel markings rather than Serbo-Croat.

Rich Johnson

There were USMC PRC-515s? Wow, thats news to me.
I thought they went right from the 74 to the 104 and then to the 138 and now the 150 like we have the Army.

Also should mention the PRC-1099 which is the size of a prc-77 and takes a 12v battery like wise. Has 9 I think programable channels. Good radio but not quite as rugged as the other ones mentioned. I hear they sometimes have problems.

If your interested in more, you should look up the teh HF pack book by KI0PF.

Wile E. Coyote

There were USMC PRC-515s? Wow, thats news to me.
Not as a packset configuration as far as I've been able to determine - just as a fixed and/or vehicular type station like your AN/GRC-193. Doesn't look like they were procured in any large quantities and even the bits and pieces are rare as hen's teeth now - though Columbia Electronics had the bare transceiver portion up on Ebay not too long ago. I think the nomenclature is AN/GRC-220, but good luck on finding any info or pics on it. When the bits do show up they always seem to be in USMC paint.

(Edit: Yes, AN/GRC-220. You can see from the pic the same control head of the AN/PRC-515 but in the dark color coupled to all the vehicle amps and what-not in the same dark color.)

Attachments

Last edited:

Wile E. Coyote

Just found this trying to find my USMC reference again, but this snippet says it was the Army that used them:

"PRC-515(RT-5047/URC); Back-pack HF,USB/LSB/AME/CW transceiver. Designed & built by Collins of Canada, the PRC-515 is also built by Collins International in the U.S. & is in use (in some form) at least by the US Army. In addition these radios were built & used in the former Yugoslavia & possibly other countries. Ops 2-30mc in 100cps steps, for a possible 280,000 channels. RF power output is rated 20 watts. Requires 20-32vdc supplied by 1.5ahr rechargeable battery or vehicular source. Weight is 22lbs while in its backpack role with all accessories. Known options, variations, & accessories include 549A-2 20 watt backpack PA/coupler, 548S-1 100 watt station PA & coupler, 541C-1 150 watt man-pack, vehicular, or fixed station PA/coupler, 548T-1 400 watt PA, 490T-2A coupler (400 watt station), 718U-5 100 watt portable PA. 671V-6 receiver-exciter unit, updates existing PRC-515 & GRC-220 equipments for split-frequency operation, with the addition of dual frequency controls. 719D-2 is a 20 watt backpack combination of the 671V-2 receiver/exciter,377L-2control, & the 549A-2 20 watt PA/coupler, (this may be the Collins designation for a PRC-515). 719D-15 is a 150 watt man-pack station that combines the 671V-2 receiver-exciter unit, 377L-2 control unit,5 49C-1 power amplifier/coupler (150 watt), 963A-2 RT pack-frame, 963A-3 acc & batt pack frame, BB-451 battery & AS-1320 whip antenna (PRC-47), vehicular installation is effected with the 998W-1 power conditioner, & various mounting trays. HF-125 is a 150 watt fixed station installation that is based on the 719D-15, it combines those accessories with an AC/DC power supply. VC-120 (GRC-220), is a 150 watt vehicular set that combines the equipment of a 719D-15 with the appropriate mounting trays, antenna & power conditioner. Ref.#10,#11,#12 "

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks