• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HHMWV Fuel tank leak

Ajax MD

Looks like 1 and 5
But not sure that is the correct drawing, what model truck?
It's an early M998 that has been re-engined with the 6.5l but kept the 3-speed TH400. To my eyes, the fuel tank is original. The truck has the driveshaft parking brake which means the tank is the early style.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's an early M998 that has been re-engined with the 6.5l but kept the 3-speed TH400. To my eyes, the fuel tank is original. The truck has the driveshaft parking brake which means the tank is the early style.
Then that would be correct, 1 and 5

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could use some assistance interpreting this parts drawing.

Basically, I want to purchase the two metal fuel lines coming directly from the fuel tank. These connect to rubber sections a little further upstream which then possibly turn into metal sections again if I interpret the diagram correctly. The exploded diagram doesn't show the fuel tank at all, it's kind of a disembodied view.

Which numbers do I need?

View attachment 889327
If you have a hydraulic line shop near, you can carry those in and they can replicate them easily. Just saying.

Ajax MD

Ok, tank is fully removed. I've removed the crushed section of metal fuel line. Hopefully I'll have the section made tomorrow.

I should expect to have to purge air from the fuel system after all of this? I've read the procedure and even found an old Army training video but I haven't actually done it yet.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it may or may not be an issue. There should still be fuel in the lines and filter, so you might find it fires right up with minimal cranking.
When I dropped and reinstalled my tank I don't remember doing anything special to get it running again.

If it does have issues, then yes, you'll need to do something to purge the air.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, tank is fully removed. I've removed the crushed section of metal fuel line. Hopefully I'll have the section made tomorrow.

I should expect to have to purge air from the fuel system after all of this? I've read the procedure and even found an old Army training video but I haven't actually done it yet.
Air pressure (a rag at the filler nozzle tube and 3 to maybe 5 pounds of air) will help.
Cranking and if it will run - a high idle is a good plan too.
Otherwise the video will be your plan... Hope it goes easy.

Ajax MD

OK, I got 'er did.
NAPA had sections of steel line with the correct ferrule for $10. I used my handheld tube bender to give it contours similar to the factory tube.

Engine started with no purging or troubles. I appreciate all the advice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks