• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hi all, I'm new here

Cdub

Hi All,

I’m all very new at the military vehicle hobby and am looking to learn as much as possible from most of you here. I do admire all of the helpfulness that each person seems to give so willingly. I think this would be a great place to learn as much as I can from all of you.

I do have some experience with antique cars and worked in a body shop for eleven years. I fully restored a 1960 Impala convertible and partially restored a 1962 Impala hard top and a 1964 Impala SS. I had sold them all about ten years ago and decided to alter the garage into a little New Yankee Work Shop for doing all kinds of wood working. I feel that I’ve got that old itch again to work on a new toy.

While working at one of the body shops I had my first taste of a large truck when they bought a L9000 Ford heavy duty wrecker for towing tractor trailers to satisfy their police towing contracts. I found myself being the body man that was left to make most of the repairs on the tow trucks which I enjoyed very much. The body shop wasn’t really set up for any heavy truck repairs but we did what we were able and sent out the L9000 for any of the major repairs which were few and fare between. I did get out of the auto body business about eight years ago and got back into Land Surveying. Surveying was something I had done for six years before getting into the body business. So I basically was a Land Surveyor that took off for eleven years and did some body work..

I’ve been wanting, looking, learning about a new military vehicle for myself. I’ve always had my eye on a deuce and a half but through my searches I just fell in love with the M900’s. I contacted the Military Vehicle Club of Northern New Jersey for some help. I was contacted by a guy that was so helpful he had invited me to check out his little motor pool of M800, M900 and his Deuce and Jeep. We spent the whole afternoon just chatting about his trucks. I would ask a question and he would just talk up a storm. I think he really loved his toys so much he could talk for ever which I didn’t mind at all. I felt like a sponge just absorbing all the information I could. He even offered if I wanted to pull in the M800 and park it for the night. I’m sorry to say I declined. I told him “Sorry, but it’s not my truck and I was too nervous”….Hahaha…..Maybe next time for sure I told him…..

I’ve been busy doing many searches on line trying to dig up as much information about the M900’s. I think doing as much research and learning as much as possible before deciding whether or not getting a M900 would be a good idea. There are so many things to consider before buying a large five ton truck. I’m hoping that many of you would be willing to help me along with the many question I have spinning around in my head. I’m not even sure which 900 model number would apply to what I’m looking for. I do know what I like and don’t even know if I’ll be able to find what I have in mind. I’m hope most of you can help with that end being experts that most of you seem to be.

I was mainly lurking in the five ton and over threads. I would like to post up a M900 info thread and try and fill in the blanks that I have so many questions about. Please do excuse me for all of my dumb or just plain stupid questions……I’m the noobie around here remember…Hehehe….

Most people call me Craig but my friends call me by my nick name “ C’dub “ which was give to me by a very close friend many years ago which stands for CW (i.e. Craig Williams). Since I don’t have a 900 yet, I though that would be a cool user name for getting started.

I hope to get to know all of you here and making many new and close friends on and off line……………………

seya,

C’dub

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RE: Hi all, I

Hey C'dub! Welcome to SS. You can't go wrong with a M809 or M939 series truck. The 809 and 939 series SS members are a special breed. Many of us limp from dismounting and rotating big tires. Ours ears perk up when we hear a NHC250 or 8.3 CTA. Our hearts sink when the Protective Control Box doesn't click. We think all trucks should have oversized hoods or one-piece front ends.

Before posting anything you might consider a routine question, click the search button. It will come up with all kinds of great posts.

It's a lot of fun here. Glad you could join the party.

M1075

C'dub-

Welcome to SS. For the best overview you can possibly get on these trucks, read the operators manual. It will be of great assitance to you in learning about these. You can buy a hardcopy one from a member http://www.steelsoldiers.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=PN_zClassifieds&file=detail&cat=6&de=523 or you can download the electronic version for free by clicking the technical manuals link on the left.

For the M939 series, you will want TM 9-2320-272-10 and for the M809 series, you will want TM 9-2320-260-10.

Any other questions, just ask!

oldshep

Howdy, this is the best site on the internet. You may find yourself addicted too it like i am and i'm just 16.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here".
You will find all the folks here great...you will also find yourself scouring the countryside for your next "green iron fix".
Your friends will think you're :cookoo:
This hobby is not as destructive as drinking or drugs.....but it is just as expensive. :beer:
Welcome. [thumbzup]

Cdub

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for the very warm welcome......... :D

I can already feel the wheels turning in my head from all the new ideas.

I do have a dream truck in mind. I don't know if what I'm looking for would
even exist. I do know what I would like to have though. Hopefully it's not to
far out of line.

It should be a --

8.3 with turbo

super single tires

front winch

14' foot bed

hard top / soft top (not sure yet)

turn key condition

I'm hoping on a late model year. I've done the restoration thing in the
past from ground up. I don't think in this part of my life that would be
good for me now. So finding one in the best condition I can for the budget
I'm allow myself would be best. A project truck wouldn't be a good idea for
me now, a turn the key driver would be what I'm looking for. Even at that
I'm sure it would need this or that but hopefully nothing major.

One thing I would like to know is..........

What are the different models they did offer in the 900......??

I've seen 923, 924, 925..........ect........

Can some one break down the different models for me.....??

I don't know what model I'm looking for if I don't know the differences
between the different one out there.

Cheers,

C'dub

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Refer to M1075s post above and get the manual. That will explain the different models in the 900 line.

Cdub

Recovry4x4 said:
Refer to M1075s post above and get the manual. That will explain the different models in the 900 line.
Thanks Ken..........Great idea.......I will do that........

Glad to hear that info is in the manual.

One thing I had while doing the Chevy Impala resto thing was having
the factory manuals.....a real time saver and packed with great info.

Why call them a M939 series and not a M900 series .....?? Does it make a difference..??

Thanks,

C'dub

M1075

I'm not sure where the M939 id came from, but most of the trucks in the series are either in the 920s or 930s. There are some line haul tractors in the low 900s, M911, M915 etc. and other vehicles in the high 900s, such as M998 HMMWV. Therefore saying M900 series is too broad to properly identify the 5 tons. Now if you say 900 series 5 tons, everyone knows what you are talking about!

M1075

BTW, you can definitely get what you are looking for. There are not as common as the older M809 series trucks, but plenty available, about $15K-$25K. I believe one of our members just sold 3 or 4.

Cdub

M1075 said:
I'm not sure where the M939 id came from, but most of the trucks in the series are either in the 920s or 930s. There are some line haul tractors in the low 900s, M911, M915 etc. and other vehicles in the high 900s, such as M998 HMMWV. Therefore saying M900 series is too broad to properly identify the 5 tons. Now if you say 900 series 5 tons, everyone knows what you are talking about!

gotcha...........M939 series it is..........Cooool.....

btw.....an email was sent out about the Manual. I think it'll be a great way to start...

Thank You

BTW, you can definitely get what you are looking for. There are not as common as the older M809 series trucks, but plenty available, about $15K-$25K. I believe one of our members just sold 3 or 4.

That's what I had in mind...........hopefully something on the higher end in better condition. A M939 series being the later models would be something I would perfer.

During what years were the M939 series made by AM General..........??

Cheers,

C'dub

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Cdub

Hey Kenny,

Thanks, I got it..........downloaded just fine....... :D

Wow.......am I going to be busy......Hahahahhaha..... [thumbzup]

Cheers,

C'dub

dma251

Welcome. I was in the same spot you were a couple years ago. The best advice I could give you is read, read, read. There is an answer to almost every question you could have on here. Most are already buried in this forum or in the TM's. Read the TM's, do searches and read everything you can about the truck you're interested in here. It'll pay off when you get your first MV and your adventure begins...

One last thing - Never, ever ever EVER.... Drive over a car with your MV. It 's irresponsible, immoral, and just plain wrong. If you do, you will receive one or two public lashings, and hundreds of private emails telling you how cool you are... Just don't do it - it's not worth it. ;) ;) ;)

Just my own .02 cents worth.

Cdub

I'm very glad I did decide to sign up here.......there is so much interesting information here it's mind blowing......I think much of the joy of owning a possible MV is doing the research about what you may plan on getting or finding....and yes, the key is read, read, read about what you plan on getting.......

I believe an educated consumer is the best buyer......haven't I hear that some were before....LOL.... :D

and oh yea, the car thing.........NO problem..........hehehehehe...

I think I'm more of a parade / mud guy any way...

Thanks for the helpfull advice,

C'dub

dma251

Oh, yeah. One other thing. You've set your sights pretty high on a M900 series 5-ton. They are definitely obtainable, but you're gonna be into it some bucks, for sure. If you've got the money, good deal - go find one. If not, don't be afraid to start out with a M809 series truck. I just sold one, and it was SOOO much fun. Parting with it was bittersweet. If you do a search of my threads you'll find lots of pics.

Sometimes it's better to work yourself up to that "ultimate" truck. I knew in my heart that I alwasy wanted a HEMTT. I knew that before I ever even thought about buying ANY kind of MV. I told myself someday... But I bought a M35 Deuce and loved it. It got my feet wet with these rigs, and even thought I am plenty used to working on all kinds of vehicles, there is nothing quite like these trucks. The way they are built is not like anything else. It takes a while to get used to dealing with working on them. After that I progressed up to my M813A1 5-ton. I took all the knowledge I learned from my first truck, and from the time I invested reading this forum, and applied it to my 5-ton. I think the results were well worth it.
Last month I bought my HEMTT, and know I can transfer all that knowledge to my new project, and it will be flawless....

You don't want to build you masterpiece the first time. That's what I think, anyway.

Good luck - there are lots of people here to help you. When are you gonna start shopping?

OSO

Greetings C'dub ,welcome to the club! And what a club , a lot of great info here, all you have is do is read, quite a lot of the questions you seek are here . aua When in doubt, do like you already have done. Hey we will answer you. 2cents Good luck in your search. OSO [thumbzup]

Cdub

That is some very good sound advice for sure and I have been told before by the fella that showed his little motor pool (see first post), but we both laughed and just smiled and said there's nothing like owning a 5 ton.

I know I could be jumping in the deep end with both feet....but I just don't think I'll be happy with anything less then what I have my hart set on.

I'll try to do as much research as possible and think through all the logics of owning a 5 ton and things just may work out for the best.

I'm sure it won't be an easy road traveled at first.

Lets see what happens........... :D

thanks for helping me think things through.

seya,

C'dub

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks