• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hi all, some random questions...

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
bob truck 002.jpgHas not been a problem . The rear tires can't rub unless a dog bone pop's off or something else in the rear suspension falls off !!! LOL , but then you have OTHER BIGGER problems !

Another Ahab

Thanks for all the thoughts on the venting of the diffs... running all the lines up seems like a pretty cool idea...

Now I just need to actually acquire an M35... Anyone know where I can get some nice big bags of cash? Cash always seems to help with the acquisition of new toys...
Got some for you right here:

- Is this enough?

Money.jpg

SomeWhatLost

View attachment 536232Has not been a problem . The rear tires can't rub unless a dog bone pop's off or something else in the rear suspension falls off !!! LOL , but then you have OTHER BIGGER problems !
I think you are overthinking it.
I gave no doubts all that is true...
Especially the "you have OTHER BIGGER problems" part...

But still, something about it just looks scary...
incredibly cool...
but scary...

that truck in rtk's post looks amazing....
so maybe scary mixed with a bit of truck envy/jealously?

Last edited:

Another Ahab

As one with a deuce on 395s that off-roads quite a bit, yeah, I think you are overthinking it.
You add up the experience on this site in Deuce miles traveled on the big tires:

- And you realize if it was a catastrophe, then you would have heard a WHOLE lot about it in various older threads.

Safe to say, you can re-assign your concern to something else. Like growing your MV collection (but you GOT to post pictures).

Jeepsinker

If you plan to drive the truck on the road much more than off road the duals have one real advantage. If you get a flat, you can pretty well change it at your leisure, instead of on the side of the road. This is particularly nice around here where most roads have little or no shoulder, or bottomless mud off the shoulder pretty much year round. I'd much rather be less capable off road than get killed on the side of the road changing a tire. And that isn't just here, roadsides are dangerous places to be for any length of time anywhere you go.

Another Ahab

If you get a flat, you can pretty well change it at your leisure, instead of on the side of the road. I'd much rather be less capable off road than get killed on the side of the road changing a tire. And that isn't just here, roadsides are dangerous places to be for any length of time anywhere you go.[/QUOTE]

Witness. A horribly sad tragedy just here in DC not a few weeks back:

- Young man killed outright here on our Beltway waiting in his disabled car, by the side of the road.

Be careful. Too sad. Godspeed the family of that boy.

rustystud

If you plan to drive the truck on the road much more than off road the duals have one real advantage. If you get a flat, you can pretty well change it at your leisure, instead of on the side of the road. This is particularly nice around here where most roads have little or no shoulder, or bottomless mud off the shoulder pretty much year round. I'd much rather be less capable off road than get killed on the side of the road changing a tire. And that isn't just here, roadsides are dangerous places to be for any length of time anywhere you go.
You aren't just kidding ! I used to have to go out on the wrecker to retrieve broken busses. We would be on the side of the road with our special bright jackets and all the lights going on the wrecker and people would literally run you down ! Once I was almost hit, but my partner grabbed me and pulled me over in front of the wrecker. All I saw was a blur go by me it happened so fast. Another time I was driving my friends 2 ton truck when it died on "HiWay 2" between Monroe and Duvall . Just after I came to a stop on the shoulder and was getting out of the cab a car hit the rear bumper at an angle. He never stopped, but at least the idiot had some serious damage to his car by all the broken lights and bumper material laying around.

Jeepsinker

Perhaps there should be a roadside safety thread in the safety forum, if there isn't already.
It really is simple though, stay off the roadside to minimize the risk to life and limb. With duals on the rear, you retain an 8 out of 10 chance of being able to get to a safe area to change a tire in the event of a tire failure. With singles, you are simply at the mercy of fate putting you in a safe place with a flat tire. And it will almost always be a flat on the side of the truck facing traffic. Of course, if you don't service your hubs and you lose a whole hub and wheel assembly then it doesn't matter if you have duals or singles or are running on rails.

rustystud

Perhaps there should be a roadside safety thread in the safety forum, if there isn't already.
It really is simple though, stay off the roadside to minimize the risk to life and limb. With duals on the rear, you retain an 8 out of 10 chance of being able to get to a safe area to change a tire in the event of a tire failure. With singles, you are simply at the mercy of fate putting you in a safe place with a flat tire. And it will almost always be a flat on the side of the truck facing traffic. Of course, if you don't service your hubs and you lose a whole hub and wheel assembly then it doesn't matter if you have duals or singles or are running on rails.
Very true.

SomeWhatLost

Odd how threads progress... ask a question about wheels, and that some how morphs into a safety pros and cons of dualys... pretty cool really...

Well, instead of sitting around moping about not having the coin for the very nice C&C truck, I started looking to see if there was anything local(ish) that was within my current cash on hand, and, well, worth looking at...

While not an A2, I did find this:
For Sale: 1993 M35A3 2-1/2 Ton 6x6 Truck
Although, the Allison kind of scares me... it sure is nice to have an automatic when you are stuck in stop and go traffic... which does happen a lot around here...
and the fact that is is close enough that assuming it runs and drives, I could just drive it home (ie no shipping charges...)
on the bad side, they have almost no info posted about it at all...
Miles: 26133 mi
Hours: 2671
Vehicle Condition:
Engine:
Brakes:

and they appear to be a museum that happens to be closed for the winter... seems like that may be somewhat problematic too...

also, just a general Diesel question... does anyone make a solar or battery powered block heater? borrowed my brothers truck since the little kit car thing really sucks in the winter, truck is diesel and really doesn't like starting when it is negative degrees out... runs great once it gets started, it is just the getting to the point where it will start when sitting out in the parking lot at work where there is no access to AC that is somewhat problematic...

rustystud

Odd how threads progress... ask a question about wheels, and that some how morphs into a safety pros and cons of dualys... pretty cool really...

Well, instead of sitting around moping about not having the coin for the very nice C&C truck, I started looking to see if there was anything local(ish) that was within my current cash on hand, and, well, worth looking at...

While not an A2, I did find this:
For Sale: 1993 M35A3 2-1/2 Ton 6x6 Truck
Although, the Allison kind of scares me... it sure is nice to have an automatic when you are stuck in stop and go traffic... which does happen a lot around here...
and the fact that is is close enough that assuming it runs and drives, I could just drive it home (ie no shipping charges...)
on the bad side, they have almost no info posted about it at all...
Miles: 26133 mi
Hours: 2671
Vehicle Condition:
Engine:
Brakes:

and they appear to be a museum that happens to be closed for the winter... seems like that may be somewhat problematic too...

also, just a general Diesel question... does anyone make a solar or battery powered block heater? borrowed my brothers truck since the little kit car thing really sucks in the winter, truck is diesel and really doesn't like starting when it is negative degrees out... runs great once it gets started, it is just the getting to the point where it will start when sitting out in the parking lot at work where there is no access to AC that is somewhat problematic...
Don't be afraid of the Allison transmission. They are really strong units. Just don't overheat them and replace the filter on a regular basis. As far as being at a museum, that's probably a good thing. Means it has been thoroughly gone over for any problems.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Allison transmission as used in the A3 is a fairly common unit in the commercial world . I have had a A3 for while , never had a problem with it and it worked well . Matter of fact , never had any problems with the the whole POWER PAC combo . As they say just do your PM's and keep after the MV . What is the serial # of the unit ? that will tell you if it is a early or late truck . My Deuce is 502327 , pretty much right in the middle of the A3 run , it was a 1997 rebuild . good luck bob k

SomeWhatLost

as far as the Allison goes... I actually do like the one in my truck... with the exception of one problem (that is a known problem and pretty much had to do with it being the first year for the "civilian" model trans) it has been really good...

The Museum guy got back to me with some pics and answers to some of my previous questions... kind of a mixed bag...

• still don't know if it currently has a title...
  • s/n is 504308 not sure what that tells me?
  • no winch... but I would guess it isn't to hard to add one...
  • The CTIS is complete and all there, not sure if it actually works, be cool if it did... CTIS is one of those things I kind of consider a plus on the A3.... really cool in concept, and even better if it actually works:)
  • has a couple bad tires...
  • there is some noticeable rust... looks fixable enough... just makes it look ugly...
  • ran just fine.... last year...
  • Museum dude will be out on the road/delayed response for next couple of weeks (picking up a warthog for museum... hmmm... wonder how one of those would work as a semi-daily driver? be nice to just be able to "clear a path" in traffic, so to speak...)

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What the serial # tells you is that this is one of the later vehicles towards the end of the refit , which is a good thing . I would bet that is a 97 or later rebuild . CTIS usually doesn't work , I took my system off when I did a PM on the brakes and wheel bearings , converted to A2 bearings . I can give you the deal on that . I would figure a set of tires at least and a complete service and paint .Does the vehicle have the roof bows and a Tarp ? If you want a winch I would add one of those 24 volt Warn winch's floating around . The Hrs and mileage seem fair , but just buyer beware . good luck , bob k

Another Ahab

• ran just fine.... last year...
  • Museum dude will be out on the road/delayed response for next couple of weeks (picking up a warthog for museum... hmmm... wonder how one of those would work as a semi-daily driver? be nice to just be able to "clear a path" in traffic, so to speak...)
Love a picture or two, you know!?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks