• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hi from Chicago

Swyzzlestickz

Good morning everyone, I am a new member stopping by to say hello. I am picking up my very first M1009 in a few hours actually, I'll have it towed home and placed in my backyard. Previous owner robbed the diesel engine of parts(list will be included at the bottom) and I have absolutely no knowledge of diesels but, I do have a running 90 gasser rust bucket K5 that is currently in my backyard. PO claims that the M1009 ran when parked but another opportunity arose on another truck so he took it. I liked the body but I am considering building the diesel engine back up so that i can keep the miles per gallon. So with my first posting comes the question of would a COMPLETE novice be able to get it running with a combination of the knowledge of this board and YouTube? Thanks in advance

pipes, wires, tubes of various parts, wiper motor, fuel filter, fuel pump (had an electronic one bi-passing manual pump), injector pump, batteries, alternators, driver/passenger glass, rear glass and crank, glow plug solenoid, glow plugs"

elkhtr

Welcome from Washington. Be sure to post up a pic of your new truck when it arrives. I'm sure the cucv gurus will jump in to help.

Swyzzlestickz

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, here's my freshly towed in rig. I now have to rebuild it into a daily driver.... The missus has already deduced that there is no ac so I can't keep both K5's

uploadfromtaptalk1434818996767.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434819021577.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434819050297.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434819086376.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434819105432.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434819132103.jpg

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard from central Illinois!! There are quite a few members with VAST knowledge of the M1009 here. The tech info is also available here in the TM's. There have definitely been a LOT worse that came back to life. Congrats and welcome to the "disease"

Swyzzlestickz

If you're talking about the one that eats your wallet slowly and consumes you with the overwhelming urge to buy parts, parts trucks, and tools then I am stage 3 already. And Central Illinois eh? I may call on you soon for help. Willing to work for beer and food?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swyz,
Welcome from Kentucky, you get that truck running and you won't be a novice anymore. It is doable, maybe find a donor truck. Where in the city are you located? I was born and raised on the Southwest Side/Midway airport.
JC

Swyzzlestickz

Hi Scar, thanks for the welcome. i am in northwest near oak park, forest Park and the likes. I found an 84 diesel suburban in the city for 1100 bucks(which I'd never give him) sent him an email to ask what factory options it had, hopefully AC or the wife is going to really push that I need to install gas engine. I would like to keep both gas and diesel, my son has become a fan of the k5 now and wishes to claim one of the two I have in the yard.

Problem I am running into is that I am a novice with gas engines and completely lost when it comes to diesel. However, I do understand the mechanics of how both work with their combustion and power. I guess it's just fear or commonsense that will prevent me from attempting my first heart transplant. For all of the diesel experts, have a clue what I'm missing from the pics below? I know the injector pump, injectors, glow plugs, glow plug relay(may be wrong item) and some other stuff I don't even know. I am able to shoot higher quality pics if needed.

uploadfromtaptalk1434894438145.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434894482157.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434894518514.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434894568512.jpg

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swyz,
there is a running 6.2 listed for sale in a thread below, that is what you need, you'll put that much into the needed parts to get yours running, that's if the engine is still good, sitting open to the environment with the plugs & injectors out leads to nothing but bad, food for thought.
JC

Swyzzlestickz

Scar, thanks for the great advice. I am going to pursue the new engine. Between the 6.2 burb engine and the 6.2 military are there differences or is it just pull off the front clips yank the engine, torgue converter, and tranny then install? I haven't ever done an engine swap before, but I am youtube certified if that helps any.