• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hi guys new guy with a couple of questions.

n2ojunkie

First hello to everyone I've been looking and reading a lot sense I've found this site, and would like to say I like it but I also hate it ;). I have a new way of spending money now. lol.

Second I picked up a m101a1 and a m116 with the gen set here in michigan and need help with what I need to tow it with. First I know I dont have the optimal truck but its what I have right now and its what I am going to use to get it home. I have a 2000 jeep tj. I've towed more than the the 1300lb i've read the m101 weights so I know how to be careful. It will be on back roads and going slow most of the way.

My question is what hitch do I need? I know what type but what size? I plan on going to tsc to get one so if anyone has any sugestions I would appreciate it. I did a search but I couldnt find anything specific on the size. I seen the m105 uses a different one so that got me wondering. Thanks.

James

wsucougarx

Hitch=pintle. I got a hybrid pintle/ball combo. The ball size is 2 1/2 I believe and I can hook up a 1.5 ton M105A2 trailer and medium towbar to it. Depending on how low your truck is w/regard to the trailer lunette, I also got one of those variable height brackets that the pintle mounts to. This way I don't have to muscle the trailer down onto the pintle

n2ojunkie

OK so I can use a ball with the lock that comes over the top and locks down right? Right now my ball sits 22" off the ground. The jeeps lifted and I have 35" tires on it so it sits up a little. Will the 2 1/2" ball work on the m101? I thought I read they took a different size?

sloride66

PINTLE BALL COMBO BOLT ON.jpgPINTLE BALL COMBO BOLT ON.jpg
I believe wsucougarx was telling you to get this. I have the same thing on an '06 Jeep TJ w/ 4.10's, 33" tires and a 6 speed tranny. Pulls fine. Stopping distance is understandably increased.

Last edited:

n2ojunkie

OK I'm going out today and look for something to work. Neil what is the hook above that used for? When I think of a pintle hitch that's what I think of?

ojsdna744

Are you goin to tow it full time with the TJ? Or just move it a time or two? It IS a bigger trailer for the TJ, especially with your Jeep lifted. I have moved my trailer with my Jeep, I'm also on 35 inch tires. It works, but it's much less than ideal.

If you just need it moved, I could help you if you'd like. I'm not far away, and would be happy to come move it for you with my CUCV.

If you'll be using it WITH the Jeep, just be careful not to load it too heavy. The tail can start to wag the dog if you know what I mean. :-D

n2ojunkie

Thanks but the m101 I plan on using a little more around town moving wood and stuff mostly short trips, but when I go upnorth hunting I was thinking of taking it with me. My cabin is around 250 mi straight up 75. I did tow a smaller camper this year when I went and it was too heavy for the jeep but I took it easy and did not have a problem. The m116 with the gen is more than likely a one time trip. That one is my sisters. We're still waiting on the euc to clear. If I need help I'll let you know as soon as I can. Thanks for the offer, not many boards with people like you on it anymore.

James
'

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks