• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hi/Lift Jack Placement?

Ridgerunner

I like the Pioneer tool kit... If anyone has one they are willing to sell or know where I can get one, let me know. And yes, I know how to use google.

Thanks
Mine came off a Deuce. Many parts trucks out there, so you should be able to score one easily enough. I see them sell anwhere from between $25 and $50 bucks.

Lothar

Here's a mount that I made. I still intend to make some kind of hammer style nuts to hold it down, but the double nuts are working fine for now. I opted to put the jacks inside to lower the chance of theft. The teflon is just a cutting board sliced with regular wood saws.

Attachments

Lothar

Thanks guys. I am a welding contractor, usually stick to pipe welding because the pay is higher. But I have done just about everything there is to do in the welding business.

Ridgerunner

Well this thread got me motivated enough to finally get around to making my jack mount.

I kept it simple and cheep. I used 2” square tube, drilled two holes, and welded nuts inside to bolt the mounts to the top of the trailer fender. I welded a bolt to the inside of the end cap to hold the jack to the mount. I used lugnuts off an old Ford truck to retain the jack onto the mounts. I wanted it so that when I had the truck parked at a store, restaurant or whatever unattended, that someone couldn’t just walk up, undo a latch and run away with my jack. With the lugnuts tight, they would have to have the proper wrench on hand, and it still would take more than a few seconds to pull it off. It’s not fool proof, but give just that little bit more than just a strap or wing nut would provided. And if I do require to use the jack, so what if it takes me a minute longer to take it off the fender. And yes, I could use anti-theft lugnuts that require the special key socket, but I'm not that worried about it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a M101A1 I've fitted out over the years as a recovery trailer. It works pretty well but since it lives inside the garage I'm not too worried about theft.

I put a pioneer tool rack from an M-37 on the tailgate. There are two jerry cans on the front together with the spare tire (all monted on the exterior front). I'm going to mount a pair of hi-lift jacks (one on each side) over the fenders on the exterior.

I've set up boxes for my A-frame for the winch on my truck, and I've got 2 sets of dual wheel for my truck (an M-37 / M-42) that are located in the inside front of the trailer. I've also got tire chains for all for truck tires, and a box with additional chain, come-alongs, snatch blocks, tow straps, bow saws and one and a half inch diameter manilla rope. In between the boxes on the floor are a couple of 6 foot pry bars and sledge hammers.

When I restored the trailer I noticed that there were 2 unused terminals / pins on the trailer plug. I used these to wire 24VDC into the bed so I have a military style outlet for light or whatever.

It works pretty well because I made all the boxes the same height which means it is like a second floor in the trailer bed. On the wooden sides I've attached some Marsden Matting (landing mats) for traction. Little generators, pumps, chainsaws or compressors can be put on top of the boxes.

I don't have any pictures of the whole thing loaded up, but I've attached some pics of it before it was finished.

Storm 51

Attachments

Orionspath

When needed, The passenger side seemed to be the best location as it would proved to be the safest side of the vehicle if you needed to pull over. For those interested in security. I drilled a hole through the 1/2" bolt and have a small padlock I thread through it (just enough). Hmmmmm, Thought I had an original concept. GREAT THREAD, Good Pictures.........Charlie Mike

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a question for you folks who mounted you jack on the trailer. What made you pick the trailer over the truck? I put mine on the truck only bacause it was a whole lot cheaper outfitting every truck vs every trailer.

Orionspath

Trailer Mount.....

I have a question for you folks who mounted you jack on the trailer. What made you pick the trailer over the truck? I put mine on the truck only bacause it was a whole lot cheaper outfitting every truck vs every trailer.
I pull the M101 with my Expedition. When I was installing the inboard tie downs on the M101, I decided to go ahead and relocate the hi-lift from the interior location on the forward rack to the outside of the box. Readily accessible (impossible to get to within if carrying cargo) and it looks better outside the box anyway. Planning on painting this spring.....

Pete

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pull the M101 with my Expedition. When I was installing the inboard tie downs on the M101, I decided to go ahead and relocate the hi-lift from the interior location on the forward rack to the outside of the box. Readily accessible (impossible to get to within if carrying cargo) and it looks better outside the box anyway. Planning on painting this spring.....

Pete
Any possibility of needing it when you don't have the trailer in tow?

edpdx

I like the fender mounted jack. I would weld a 1/2" stud to the ribs and then get a locking lug nut to fit the middle rib so that it has to be unlocked to remove. You probably want to find the locking lugs first and then match the bolt to it.

michigan4x4

When needed, The passenger side seemed to be the best location as it would proved to be the safest side of the vehicle if you needed to pull over. For those interested in security. I drilled a hole through the 1/2" bolt and have a small padlock I thread through it (just enough). Hmmmmm, Thought I had an original concept. GREAT THREAD, Good Pictures.........Charlie Mike

Orionspath.. did you weld studs to outside rib of the trailer in your application? Yours looks simple and easy. I like it.

Jeff

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks