• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hi newbie from Massachusetts 1986 1028

tony42692001

Hi I have just found this site and I am relieved. I inherited a 1986 1028 CUCV and let it sit for a year. I placed a 6 inch lift from Ruff Country on and did crossover steering from Ord. Also did a block heater because it gets really cold here. Ripped rubber floor out and replaced floors. It currently sits on BFG Military OZ tires on 12 bolt beadlock (recentered) rims.

I have two problems. The first is the rear brakes do not work and are currently disconnected at proportioning valve. When I hook them up the breaks grab and lock causing truck to go out of control. Has original monster drums.

The second is that I received 39.5 Ground Hawg tires and was thinking a 4inch shackle flip in rear but I am not sure what to do up front. Rear lift is 4 inch leafs with 2inch blocks and front is 6 inch leaf packs. I was thinking 4inch ORD flip in back and take out blocks but front is a mystery.

Any help or suggestions I would appreciate. I am the only person who owns one of these truck in my area so I am on my own. Thanks Justin

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

Alot of CUCV owners here.

Have you download the free technical manuals? They are listed in the Tech Manual section. You want the TM 9-2320-289-xx series. You also want the parts manuals that have diagrams of all the parts on the truck along with GM part numbers. The pictures are nice in that they help me "see" how stuff goes together.

Read through the troubleshooting section to help with the brake issue. Driving with disconnected brakes is a bad idea.

First thought on the rear brakes is the weight proportional valve at the rear axle. It may be bad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks