• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hi

Geico

Hi iam new on here and its all because iam a volunteer firefighter that i found this site, our fire dept has 3 M35 trucks one is a 1969 M35 A2 truck which we use as a grass fire rig its great at what it is used for , we also have 2 more which at the moment are out of service with mechanical issues and at some point we wil bring them back in to service, i do all the fire dept maintance on the trucks and just want to learn as much as i can and if i have any issues with them i would appreciate any information to keep this great truck rolling also iam from England and sound like the geico lizard, well i thought i would say hi

Geico

Last edited:

bonshawman

Welcome - we utilize a deuce in my volunteer department as a brush unit - this site is a great resource for parts, info and an abundance of knowledge, and affable and helpful members.

Geico

Thank you for the warm welcome, the two trucks that are none runners I know what's wrong them, 1st truck has something wrong with an axel it had to have the axle chained up to get it back in to town, the second one somone changed the turbo and messed with the engine governor they were trying to get it to run faster. So at the moment they are on the back burner as we have other work to do first on other trucks, I have the clutch on the deuce and a lot of work to do on the other trucks first before I can bring the 2 other deuces in service.

Last edited:

steelypip

the second one somone changed the turbo and messed with the engine governor they were trying to get it to run faster.
One thing I've heard from almost everybody about the standard deuce is that faster is just not a good idea. The truck is basically maxed out at the 5x mph it is governed to. The engine does not respond well to more RPM, the brakes do not cope with more kinetic energy well, and then there's the high center of gravity and not wonderful road manners of the mil spec tires.

An M35 may be an ideal brush truck but it will never be the 70 MPH water tanker of your dreams.

Geico

One thing I've heard from almost everybody about the standard deuce is that faster is just not a good idea. The truck is basically maxed out at the 5x mph it is governed to. The engine does not respond well to more RPM, the brakes do not cope with more kinetic energy well, and then there's the high center of gravity and not wonderful road manners of the mil spec tires.

An M35 may be an ideal brush truck but it will never be the 70 MPH water tanker of your dreams.
Well the people who messed with the turbo and govenor are no longer with the dept so at some point we will get it fixed but for now she sits idle. I know a deuce isn't built for speed and I wouldn't want to go 70 in one to.be honest but someone thought that they could get it to 70 and wouldn't losten.