• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

High air pressure won't adjust.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just put my dash panel in with new air gage, air hose to it and to the control of the front hubs. Started and at 60 PSI buzzer cut off. But the pressure continued tp build until it pegged above 120. Went to the TMs, bled the pressure down and adjusted governor as specified. Ended up turning the adjustment screw out (counterclockwise as specified) a total of 3 to 4 turns until it ran out of adjustment and the needle still pegs out.
Since the gage reads 60 when the low air buzzer cuts off I suspect it is correct. The old gage read 120 every time I ran it including earlier this week with the old parts still in. I'm not willing to pull the panel again to sub it in unless I have to.
Air governors are inexpensive, but before I replace it is there anything else I should look at/do? Seems strange this just suddenly started when I installed new parts.

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe you got a bad gauge? Got a shop compressor you could borrow a gauge from?... I'd check the system pressure with another gauge at the emergency glad hand, the supply stub by the interior passenger dash/kick panel, or you might be able to take a plug out of the air governor and spin the gauge right into the gov. itself.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe you got a bad gauge? Got a shop compressor you could borrow a gauge from?... I'd check the system pressure with another gauge at the emergency glad hand, the supply stub by the interior passenger dash/kick panel, or you might be able to take a plug out of the air governor and spin the gauge right into the gov. itself.
I thought that but the buzzer cuts off at exactly 60 PSI on the new gage. I'll see what I can scrounge up. Compressor gage is internal to reg.
Thanks

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok plumbed in a portable air tank with a 150psi limit. When it go to 130 I pulled the plug. Since I had already turned the governor down as far as it would go it' should have topped out before then. I can only guess the old gage was bad and I was running over pressurized.
Can this damage anything?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
there should be a relief valve on one of the air tanks. crawl under it and I think its on the front of one of the tanks. It should have a trip ring you can pull to make sure it isn't stuck closed.
None on my truck. In case of governor or unloader failure it would continue to build pressure until the weakest point in the air system blew.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

davidb56

None on my truck. In case of governor or unloader failure it would continue to build pressure until the weakest point in the air system blew.

You can "tee" one on your receiver (air tank) for 30$. Maybe someone did that on mine. BTW my air dryer has one built into it too.

davidb56

If yours is missing: TM 9-2320-361-24P figure 87, part # 223444. its #6 on the illustration. I'd just plumb a aftermarket one in rather than pay $$$ for the "military" version

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a standard 150 psi valve on the shelf. I have not plumbed it in, yet. Golly, I do not want to run out of Spring projects!!

Crf450x

I see you already ordered a governor but for future reference you can check it easily by seeing if it’s letting air through to the unloader. If it is, the unloader isn’t working. If it’s not, check air pressure right at the governor. If you have full pressure there, the governor is bad.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought the unloader was built in. There is a port on the governor they say not to block so it can vent thee excess pressure.

Crf450x

I thought the unloader was built in. There is a port on the governor they say not to block so it can vent thee excess pressure.
The unloader valve is in the compressor head. When the air pressure gets to the set point, the governor lets air go to the unloader. While that’s open the compressor is just freewheeling. When the pressure falls back down, the governor vents the pressure going to the unloader so the compressor starts making air again.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A bit confusing but.. So the port on the governor that I'm not supposed to block is venting the control pressure going back to the compressor. So the governor really just controls the compressor, not directly regulating the system pressure. It is but by turning the compressor on and off. Right?
So I could have a bad compressor/unloader?

Crf450x

A bit confusing but.. So the port on the governor that I'm not supposed to block is venting the control pressure going back to the compressor. So the governor really just controls the compressor, not directly regulating the system pressure. It is but by turning the compressor on and off. Right?
So I could have a bad compressor/unloader?
Yep you got it. I’d say the governor is more likely to be the problem but yes it could be a bad unloader. It’s super easy to test it though. Just have to loosen a couple air lines.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I put a gauge in my line of sight, teed off my tire filling manifold under right side of dash.
I eyed that gauge always as no air=difficult stop. I could see the air regulator functioning.
I had suggest installing this manifold to all to air up tires safely, hook it up and stay on other side of the truck.
It proved the in-dash air gauge and buzzer to be inaccurate.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks