• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

High Hour/Low Mileage Truck question

kicker9898

First of all, great board! Glad I found it, I've always been interested in military vehicles and just recently became aware of this board. I've been looking at a few Deuces on GL, and have a question for the experts. I see that miles and hours range widely on these and notice some trucks with low miles and high hours.
Is this a bad sign, good sign, doesn't matter?

Thanks for the help in advance, and for the great board and info.

Jason

ccequipment

I have had over 50 of these trucks in trh last 12 months, and from my experince, the army changes out speedos and hour meters like dirty underwear. Sometimes they will put new ones in with a new engine, and sometimes not, just depends who does it and if its Friday afternoon or a Monday morning install :beer:. Most of the time I wouldn't worry about the gauges, you can tell when they have been changed by the brighter color green around the bezel. If they match the dash color, they might be original. I always look for good clean rust free trucks first, then look at the mechanicals, but everyones different.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't even pay attention to the miles/hours...or at best only cursory attention. As has been stated above, the condition of the truck is more important. I've seen and owned trucks with 2,000 hours or more that run way better than a low hour truck.

I've said this before...the GL pictures and the descriptions are nice. However, they do not beat an in-person inspection. Better to lay your own hands and eyes on the truck rather than rely on GL's description and pictures. As we all know, pictures often don't tell the truth. Unfortunately, the info provided by GL encourages people to take chances by bidding blind. I have done it, too, so I am not pointing fingers. I will add that I try to avoid bidding based on the pictures, though. When I am unable to inspect, I always hope for the best, but expect the worst.

bigelk50

Welcome to the site! I agree with what Bruce and CC have said. Those are just gauges. if you can inspect it, Start it, drive it sometimes it will make you believe what the gauges say, and sometimes not at all. GOOD LUCK!

dittle

Went and inspected some Deuces not too long ago and guess what I found in the cab on the floor....a second instrument panel. Shows you exactly what Bruce and CC have said, the gauges in the dash don't mean much, especially if you find the "original" sitting on the floor in the cab.

bigelk50

Went and inspected some Deuces not too long ago and guess what I found in the cab on the floor....a second instrument panel. Shows you exactly what Bruce and CC have said, the gauges in the dash don't mean much, especially if you find the "original" sitting on the floor in the cab.
Nothing like having all the original parts to fully restore it back to original. Hehe:)

dittle

If the "originals" still work :-D But just pointing out that what is listed on GL for hours/miles and what can actually be on the truck are way different. Also, when they do an engine swap (was told this by a Sgt. on base) they don't necessarily do a tach reset so there is no telling what is on these vehicles over the years.

tsstout

I suggest you not only inspect it before purchase, but followup with post purchase inspection, as well as pickup inspection... If you want to make it more legit, should something go awry, make sure the GL person witnesses the changes (if any) also.

I make sure I do all three inspections, keep good records on the sign-in/out logs on site as well as notes on each inspection, and pictures.... My deuce was desimated between post inspection and pickup... that's why the cautions... Good habits may make our seller friends more accountable.

Off of soapbox....

Otherwise it is a blast looking at them anyway....

Terry