• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

High idle caused by gas pedal sticking

Mt Doom Field Owner

I know there is probably a thread on this already here but my initial search didn't find it and I know any six out of a dozen of you SS members are going to know a quick answer... here goes: My RPMs are going up to about 1300 but I can do a quick jab on the gas pedal and it will drop to 1100 and if I put the toe of my shoe under the pedal and lift it up it drops back to a normal below 1000 rpm idle. Seems the pedal or cable is sticking a bit. Where would you start to lube up the accelerator cable and using what... i.e. WD-40, grease, white oil or something else? I will go into this on Saturday and any tips would be appreciated! I'm sure it's a common issue with the deuce.:shock:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be sure your throttle return spring is there! And no binding/sticking linkage.

Attachments

Last edited:

acesneights1

I have this problem also and one more thing to check is the pin that the accelerator pedal itself pivots on.

EWhytsell

Has anyone removed this pin? I can see mine is likely seized since the floor flexes a little while pressing the pedal. It's in a spot that makes hammering the end near impossible. I suppose I could remove the transmission cover though.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone removed this pin? I can see mine is likely seized since the floor flexes a little while pressing the pedal. It's in a spot that makes hammering the end near impossible. I suppose I could remove the transmission cover though.

Taped on the pin once and broke the floor peice, what a pain that was. Lucky had extra parts trucks. Good luck.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Apply a little heat and mine came right out. A quick wire brush and re-assembly and I was good to go.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I rebuilt my truck I noticed one of the rods would rub on the hole that is in the cab floor. I had to tweek things just a little bit to get more clearance do it did not touch. It never caused a problem when it touched, but I just didn't want it to cause issues in the future. Dont forget the accelerator pedal is aluminum and the pivot pin is steel. dissimilar metals don't usually get along and this is a prime candidate for things to corrode and sieze up if not lubricated. I lube up my accelerator linkage about once a year and haven't had a problem. I love to PM my truck and it helps to look over everything and dont take anything for granted. If it moves metal on metal, chances are I put some kind of lubricant on it to make it move easier. :)

rustystud

There should be a small screw in the middle of the mount that holds the shaft in place. Remove this screw and tap out the pin after applying a liberal amount of PB blaster or similar.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks