• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

High top cover

chvss65

I remember some time on here that someone stated that if the sides were metal or aluminum that they were modified to be used as a detention transport for prisoners and such ??? don't know for sure !!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that was the ones that were in Hi a few years back...had a metal frame covered with expanded metal. Drgregs looks like the cover is standard but the sides are solid, includind the front rack. Got pics of the inside?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the ones I have seen are like the one posted here...homemade cargo covers over metal framework as Will pointed out. They actually made a kit that contained extended side bows and an extended single piece cargo cover. I have one for my M814 and I hope to have the truck at Aberdeen this year. You can actually walk into the bed with the cargo cover on without stooping down. Pretty darn cool!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mantainaince units like to do mods like that so they can have their common #1 and #2's and all the other stuff they carried locked up in the field.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I purchased a deuce that had the big metal cage in back. Since there were no seats in the back and racks to hang things on I assumed it was used in the field to store hi-value items and weapons.
I removed the cage and sold it to a guy to keep his parrot in. I'm sure the bird enjoyed the extra room. :-D

Carter

40 years ago the NG Maintenance unit I was a member of used a truck with canvas like that as a kitchen truck. When it was raining the cooks were able to stand and work without hitting their heads.

Carter

Carter,
The GL guy told me they were used by the NG, but I did not ask for specifics. Do you have good memories of the food that came out of the trucks?
We had very good cooks who actually used the old fuel burning ranges INSIDE the cargo bed and never managed to burn the thing down. The chow they prepaired was quite good and seconds were usually available. Not up to the quality of M37 Bruce's work but good none the less.

opie65

I picked up mine in Jan with a full wooden box that matched the curve of the bows. Easy stand-up, wired for lights, and came w/ a canvas to fully waterproof the outside. It was well done for a field mod. Looks like it. Everything painted White on the inside, with a Green Beltline. It is sort of sad that I'm going to cut it down in height, but it is a total Drag Chute on the road.

combat32

As stated above it is a homey unit mod, seen lots of these in maintenance units, as you said a Wal Mart 109! They are better to sleep in as well, when you get up off your cot you don't bang your head against the bows, done this a few times:-D Usually stuffed full of tools and spare parts though so not much room for sleeping.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks