• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Higher top speeds and better braking

apbloom

Our company has been in communication with a client who needs 100 trucks rebuilt from A2 models to "as close to" A3 models that is economically feasible. To that end, we have been researching two systems that will enhance the client's operations.

One is a dual-circuit service brake system, and the other is a transmission option that includes a kit of parts that would increase the 5th OD gear in the 3053 transmission from the stock 1:79 to 1:61.

As usual, the general hobbyists will benefit from the research that the "real" client will be paying for. If the project succeeds, we will be able to offer these two enhancements (along with the other stuff we continue to sell) to you folks on this Forum.

I would gladly be willing to hear any thoughts you all have on these ideas.

Arthur P. Bloom
Home

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this related to M35tom's overdrive upgrade for the 3053 transmission? (.79 fifth gear to .69 fifth gear) I'm sure some of us will be interested, any details yet?

Dennis

I would be very interested in adding these types of modification to my M109.

Hopefully "mass production" will reduce the cost associated, with these types of enhancements.

Regards,
Rick

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You all wonder who bids on a bunch of trucks at once. Looks like I know who may be bidding on 100 of them :wink:.

Beware Arthur, There are those here that think you shouldn't be able to buy that many trucks :-D.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If stock is 1.79 and you change it to 1.61 doesn't that lower top speed??
Mr. Bloom surely was referring to the stock 0.79:1 ratio (27% o.d.) changed to 0.61:1 (64% o.d.) which would increase top speed of a stock A2 about 29%, from 58mph to 75mph if .............

G.

Lonesome715

Only down side is if you push the truck much faster your going to fry wheel bearins,Pinion bearings,Transfer case bearings,carrier bearings........

For my application I do not have to worry about that. Plus, I know guys that run the same running gear in thier mud and trail trucks. They drive on the road at highway speeds with no issues. Not to mention some of them are running BIG power to them.

cbvet

In the 1950s &'60s we used to drive Studebakers & others at 100+ MPH, with no concern about our braking systems. (Or our tires, for that matter.)

Then we grew up & saw or experienced terrible accidents due to brake failure.

Dual-circuit brake systems have saved me from bad wrecks twice, so of course I would prefer them. The BIG question is will I come up with the money to add them?

It's like any other "insurance". How much can you afford?

Make an affordable setup & I'm in!

Eric
CBVET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks