• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HiLift'in

SuperchargedRS

I got a highlift jack (from summit) it's the 60inch cast, also got the recovery kit for it and the damper, cool piece.

THE QUESTION is this, I want to know if I can use one of the D rings that protrude through my bumper as a lift point for the jack, I figure in bad conditions it would be nice to not have to get under the truck with the crappy little mil scissor jack.

SO WOULD THE D-RING AND CORRESPONDING HARDWARE TAKE IT, OR WOULD I START BENDING THINGS???

Thanks,
-SuperchargedRS

Attachments

Jones

RE: HiLift

Just make sure you're securely squared up if you're using a HiLift as you'll be close to the top reach of the jack by the time you get a wheel off the ground; and they aren't extremely stable with the little footprint they have. I use and recommend one of the air over hydraulic bottle jacks like Harbor Freight sells, along with a good heavy duty jacking pad. Jacking pads you can get from Austin Aviation (ebay ID beltfed34) and the two make for a very safe combo for all sizes of mil. vehicles.

CCATLETT1984

while yes it will hold it just find (those shackles are designed to lift the truck from). as jones stated those jacks are very dangerous to use. I would just get a regular bottle jack and a square piece of wood to use as a base. you could also just carry a reg. hyd. jack in the bed, I do that on long trips.

CGarbee

The guys are correct in saying that a Hi-Lift is unstable, but it also is a very usefull adition to the toolbox on your truck (or wherever you cary it...). I use one frequently to push, pull, and shift things around the yard and on the trail (equipement, parts, vehicles) as well as for jacking. Just be aware that it will tend to lean and your vehicle can slide over and off as a result, but then, you can have a bottle jack or scissor jack slide if your not on a decent surface as well, so be careful with them too...

I actually cary more than one type of jack in each vehicle... :)

One thing that I do when lifing a M37 that might help you is to strap the axle up to the frame when using the Hi-Lift (if I am changing a tire) so that the axle assembly lifts earlier instead of hanging from the springs (there is a LOT of spring travel on my M37...).

Good luck, enjoy, and be safe.

(BTW: A Hi-Lift with a strap attached makes a great sign or fence post puller...)

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
the bad thing about a hilift is that they tend to be easy to knock over...
the good thing about a hi lift is that they tend to be easy to knock over...
was all the way right on the yellow trailer, using the hilift I moved it over 6" or so twice during the transfer

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as you plan for the stability issue, you can do tons with the hilift. Short part of a longer story. A great number of years ago a group of friends were out 4 wheelin. One guy had a 71 Chevy with about 10" of lift and 40" tires. While climbing a short but steep hill, the truck broke the center pin in the leaf spring and pinched out the lift bolck. The whole rear end shifted and the truck ended up sitting on top of the rear axle. We anchored the truck off from the top of the hill with a winch from another truck and tied off the rear corners to 2 other trucks. Using 2 high lift jacks and other misc hardware we were able to reinstall the rear axle and drag the truck home with a strap.

Gatnom

The Hi Lift is a great tool, I've got several. The front bumper of your truck and the jack will make up the best manual tire bead breaker you could ever have. Just some words of caution..... Keep it in top shape! Watch the pins and keep it well oiled. Keep your body and head out of line with the handle. If it ever hangs up (usually lack of lube) be very careful. I know from experience, (concussion, six teeth, and a dislocated jaw) and I consider myself lucky to be here to tell about it. Lots of folks have been killed by these things! Be safe. Dave

SuperchargedRS

I know about the stability issue. I figure I probabaly wont unmount the jack much but in a bad situation I would like to stay above the truck, also I can use it to winch clamp, etc.
Right now I am figuring the mounting of it, I think I will remove the radio tray and duplivate the hoop that the spare tire mounts to, so I can have it mounted along the bed of the truck behind my spare.

Getting back to the d-ring issue (or lack there of), I noticed on my shipping plate for the truck (the plate on the drivers door) that it says airlift by net or pallet, I thought that they put that there becuase the d-ring system is designed to pull not lift?????

Mike_Pop

I wouldn't trust the shackles for lifting or pulling. They aren't held on by much and I've seen warnings saying not to lift the vehicle by the shackles. I believe the shackles are really for only securing the truck to a pallet or deck.

Mike Pop

AJMBLAZER

We were always told to tow with a chain or strap through both shackles on the CUCVs and the HMMWV's.

The D-rings are far more solidly mounted than any factory tow hook, tow loop, shackle, etc that I've ever seen on a civilian vehicle. Can't see why you couldn't pull on them.

That said, I doubt I'd lift on one. Then again I haven't even got a jack that will lift Big Ugly off the ground without my home made height adding "base".

rizzo

CCATLETT1984 said:
They use those rings to lift the truck in the air, they are more than strong enough to handle using them as a jack point.

I was told the same thing by a mechanic in the guard I know