• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hillbilly Slide Hammer for seal removal

AceHigh

Last Saturday I took the deuce to ham radio field day and on returning found one wheel was hot. Further inspection showed the seal had failed and the inner wheel was covered with axle grease. Oh well.

Went to the site's excellent stepxstep and found the inner seal has to be removed with a slide hammer. I have no such thing. In fact there is none for sale in our county!

So I made one of plumbing pieces parts and it worked great! Just thought I would share. Cost was maybe $30 compared to "real" slide hammers.

I will get some pictures up.

NOTE: In the first pic is the remains of a floor ring I tried at first, but it broke. I then switched to the 4 way couplet and added the tee for a hand hold.

I also put up a pic of the outer bearing race which is failing. Looks like I would have been in that wheel sooner or later.

Attachments

Last edited:

dk8019

Where did you find the step by step? I used the TM last time, but I'm thinking it should be easier. Is there still some wonderful part of this site I have yet to discover?

143SE8

Hi, My call is N0EYZ. I was born and lived in Bluefield. Where my house was is now an AutoZone. I did not get to participate in field day this year.
Jim

AceHigh

Jim, I shop at that AutoZone a lot.

Way off topic but so what- Field Day report:

Best things about this 2009 Field Day, in my opinion: first was N8GK, Gary Kadar's "SPUD GUN"...... second thing was the great weather......third: low bug count.
Saturday started out at the Green Valley Restaurant for breakfast and figuring out who was going to do what and when. Don Anderson WD8OOR, Ronnie Childress KD8HBO, Roger Stafancic KC8LGR and myself met Thursday evening at Bob Frazier's WB8NRK home to pick up the feed lines, coffee pots, extension cords, tri-banders etc. so that part was out of the way. Don had picked up the 5 dipoles a day or so earlier in order to install the new 1:1 baluns that he had purchased for the Club. Don had also gone to Ben Mills N8XXA home on Friday to pick up Ben's tower trailer. Ben had it cleaned up, the tires aired up and ready to go. THANKS AGAIN, BEN.... WE DO APPRECIATE USE OF THE TOWER! We met at Boy Scout Camp Roland around 11am and began putting the tri-banders together, one for Gary Kadar N8GK for 15M (placed on Gary's push-up poles) and one for Roger for 20M (placed on the tower trailer). There were 4 gasoline AC generators used during this event. Doug Ritchey WG8D, pilot, and Dave Mullins KD8LBZ, co-pilot, came to the Camp in Doug's surplus M32A2 Duece and a half 2 1/2 ton cargo truck. Don showed up and we began to put up a 40M dipole for Randall Hash WB4BBF to use in CW mode, one for 75M phone and a 160M multi-bander for Don. The pneumatic PVC bullet/plug launcher ("Spud Gun") that Gary made is a real treat to use and made the job of running lines for the dipoles very easy. This unit would fire the 2" PVC bullet over the highest tree at Roland. It's hooked to a fishing reel that is mounted to the end of the 'gun'. The reservior is pumped up to about 40 pounds, the bullet is inserted into the barrel and when the solenoid is engaged, the gun fires the bullet to just about any target one aims at with a loud sound that sounds like someone stepping on a very large goose. We did have stations on the air by 2pm (1800Z) and the last station (75M) went on the air around 8pm due to technical difficulties. The 75M GOTA station was run by Bill Sowers K8WBS since there were no takers to initially man the station.
There was a nice pot luck dinner at 6pm at the large shelter with 41 in attendance. Bob Frazier and his wife were there. We were glad to see Bob out enjoying himself. Tom Mallory N4AZJ made an appearance also. It was a good turnout and the food was absolutely great. Roger, Randall and his grandson John, the Dave Lester N8VFR family, the Dale McCarty KD4IFD family, the Ken Kinzer KD8LJT family and I spent the night at the Camp.

Contacts made:
15M Voice 55
20M Voice 120
40M CW 175
75M Voice 38
160M Voice 2
States NOT contacted: Alaska, Arkansas, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Wyoming
DX: EA5OHT, Murcia Spain on 15M, DF2PY and DL5AWI, both Germany on 40M CW
and several Maritime Mobile stations.

We radioed until around 240AM Sunday (only Matt Burns KC8COM stayed up that late), got up Sunday morning at 6AM and started making contacts again around 8AM or so. Our stations started shutting down around 10-10:30AM and we were leaving the premises by 1230, going by Bob's to store the equipment.
A BIG THANKS to all that helped setup and take down all of the equipment for this year's Field Day exercise. Thanks also go out to Matt and Roger for copying the ARRL Field Day Bulletin for extra points and to Don Anderson for everthing that he did in order to make this Field Day a success.

Randall Hash used an Acer mini notebook running N3FJP'S Field Day logging program N3FJP's Amateur Radio Software . It ran very smoothly and a nice feature was a map of the U.S. with every state highlighted that he had made contact with.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your doing both sides at the same time, you can use a long piece of steel rod, about 3/4 dia, and tap the seal out from the other side. Run the rod through the axle from the other side and you can use it to tap the seal out.

frodobaggins

Search stepxstep.

I think I found it. The axle seal turned out to be the toughest part for me.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/8460-front-axle-seals-boots-stepxstep.html
Well this sucks. I just spent 45 minutes putting all this in a PDF file, then looked in the Tech Articles section and found one already there. Oh well, here is another PDF of this process just in case one goes missing.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attach...tepxstep-front-axle-seals-boots-stepxstep.pdf

rlwm211

Field day note: I used the deuce as a "platform for an extension ladder tower with a G5RV at the apex. Propagation was excellent and even ten meters was open. The Operating station was in my S250 that was towed in by the deuce on a trailer. Picures will be posted soon. 73's W2WHT

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks