• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hillbilly Wizard vs DCP Pump Rebuild, and Injectors

79Vette

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am getting ready to do a 6.5 turbo swap into my M1009 and am starting to collect parts, and have several questions.

I've seen Diesel Care in Memphis recommended by Cucvsrus and others on here, and their IP rebuilds seem to run between $450 and $750 depending on what you buy. They don't really explain the differences, so I will need to call them tomorrow to ask.

I've had good experiences with Hillbilly Wizard and see they also offer a pump rebuild service for $1000

Does anyone know what the difference is between the cheap DCP and Hillbilly rebuilds (if anything) that justifies the 2.5x increase in cost?

Also, I am looking to get a set of "short" injectors to provide as much clearance as possible to the 6.5 turbo manifold. I understand there are coarse and fine thread 6.2 injectors, and the coarse thread are apparently from 1982 only. Is there a difference between the 6.5 injectors and the "short" 6.2 injectors (ie for a van) besides than pop pressure they are set to, and is there any reason not to just buy 6.5 turbo injectors for this build?

Does anyone haveve a recommendation for where to purchase injectors? Leroy? Since I don't have "short" injectors currently I will need to buy new ones instead of a rebuild service.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased my 4911 IP pump from Diesel Care for what ended up as a 6.5 GEP in my truck. I originally was doing what you’re doing and turboing the 6.2 but encountered issues and decided to get the 6.5. I did order the “premium” version, but when I called them they were vague about the differences. It did take them a while (2.5 months) to ship me the pump, I called them numerous times as they kept telling me it would ship at the end of the week and then still nothing a few weeks later. I do believe it was from a backlog of orders but they’re not the best with handling customer service. So far I have around 3k miles on it and it has been working good.

I haven’t purchased the pump from them (but many other parts) but quadstar tuning sells IP pumps as well. They fall in between for the price (I recall $800ish) and from all the other items I’ve purchased from them I would highly recommend them. Probably who I would purchase an IP from if I ever need to again (hopefully not!).

EDIT- looks like quadstar no longer sells the non-turbo DB2 IP, but since you're going with the turbo the 4911 would be better anyways.

For injectors I got them from badger diesel. Supposedly new Bosch injectors. Price was good and they shipped right away. From what I understand you are correct, only difference between 6.2 and 6.5 short fine thread are pop pressures. I went with the 6.5. I did have an issue with at least one of them sticking at first and it would cause a knocking sound but it cleared itself out after putting it under load for 10 seconds. Since then no issues and they work good.

Last edited:

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think hillbilly rebuilds them but if he has what you need in stock I don't see why not go with them...plus he stands behind what he sells and the knowledge to help with what you're doing would be worth the extra money. I'd be curious about the pump price as the rebuild can cost all over depending what it needs inside. Some are not rebuildable. So I'm skeptical on what a working pump rebuild cost until they get it.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks