• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hire a Huey?

Barrman

RE: Taking passengers for rides in a Huey

Sermis, that is exactly the reason I don't mention aviation stuff when I am at your house. Way too close, your beverage of choice is normally in my truck and I normally have my little wagon with me too.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Oh yeah, we KNOW you don't wear black PJs so whats up with that? Didn't you mean Elmo PJs?

co_rotorhead

In the CO Guard, we would have "employers" and "spouse" appreciation day where we would fly the employers of our troops as well as our troop's wives on local flights in both the Huey and the Blackhawk. The Huey was typically more popular...flying doors open at 20ft was a real thrill for our pax! It was a terrific program and really gave those employers of our soldiers a real appreciation of what these guys did "in their other job".

Ok...story time...while fying our troops employers around Ft Carson, we landed to switch out the passengers and for me to "return some coffee to the wild". On the way back I grabbed a small tree branch and put it in the cockpit just under my seat. On the next flight, my ship and the ship in trail were chasing each other through the trees along a dried river bed - maybe 20ft above the deck (doors open pax seated - and strapped in - and all facing towards the open doors) and definately below some of the trees.

So at one point - next to a large tree, I reached under my seat and grabbed the branch and quickly held it out my window. At the same time I gave the aircraft a little jolt on the stick causing it to pop up just a bit. I then pulled my arm and the branch back into the aircraft and held up the tree branch for the pax to see. I have never seen so many jaws hit the deck. Not sure if they thought that was so funny, but my crew and sure did. Anyway, we always made sure they had the very best ride - about the best PR going, for sure.

CamoGames

Thank you to all of you that gave me links to check out, and to the others for their stories and thoughts. I appreciate it.

recon

There is a group in Indiana that has restored two Hueys and flys them to many veterans' reunions. Last year they flew into the reunion in Kokomo, Ind. and gave rides for a donation and joining there organization. Their web site is www.americanhuey369.com
Recon

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR

ebay motors , under airplanes , then look for helo's then the huey, there on ebay every now and then , but about 6 months back G W bush GAVE the philippine Army 20 flying Hueys , saw it in the paper and make me sick

davidkroberts

RE: pictures

my company still uses hueys in iraq. Im not sure how many we have but its probably around 10 still in country. Fly everyday, they have all been converted to super hueys though (4-blade) dont know anything else about them other than a great ride. and one pissed hydralic fluid all over my buddy on our last trip in one over baghdad, funny as crap.

dave in tenn

CamoGames

Re: RE: pictures

davidkroberts said:
my company still uses hueys in iraq. Im not sure how many we have but its probably around 10 still in country. Fly everyday, they have all been converted to super hueys though (4-blade) dont know anything else about them other than a great ride. and one pissed hydralic fluid all over my buddy on our last trip in one over baghdad, funny as crap.

dave in tenn

So you're saying you still have 10 or so in the US? or 10 in Iraq?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My first duty assignment in the Army in 1972 was the 101st Abn. at Fort Campbell, KY,
The unit had just returned from Nam and the pilots still flew like they were there.
I was a M-60 gunner in the infantry and oh how I hated humping that weapon.
When a guy from the Cav came by looking for door gunners and told us we only fired from the air I was the first one to volunteer.
The training was a blast (pun intended :) ) and I had a ball until my buddy came back off leave (he had done two tours in Nam).
When I told him about my new job description he looked at me like I was crazy......
"What!!!!!!" I said.
"Do you know the life expectancy of a door gunner in combat?", he asked.
"Errrrr. No." says I.
"About 15 seconds......dumba$$".
I still loved to fly in them.
In the years since I have flown in Chinooks, Loaches, Blackhawks and even the Skycrane.....the Huey, otherwise known as "the flying truck" will always be my favorite.
I would rather fly in a Huey than dip my wick. :shock:
If I ever hit the Lotto there will be one in my collection.

weldergonecrazy

The ARMY still has a few in service, but those are just the General's "personal bird". The Marines still fly the rotors off them, and now they convert them into the super-hueys...not sure , but I think they get upgraded engine, avionics, and a new four rotor system. I wish we had them, our Blackhawks are much more maintenance intensive, and I don't understand why a helicopter needs wheels???? In Kuwait, they even make us taxi and take off like a fixed wing aircraft...strange since in 12 months, I only saw one fixed wing fly in or out from our airfield (several hundred helos at any given time)! About ten years ago, in upstate NY there was a guy that made his living dealing with military surplus (mostly scrap metals), I was driving by one day and saw a couple cobra airframes in his yard! About a week later he had ten of them! I stoped by and asked what he was going to do with them. He said that he was a helicopter mechanic years ago in the ARMY, and he was going to put one together and register it as an experimental, then use the rest for parts!!! Buzzing the neighborhood with a cobra, even one with no guns, would be way too cool!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks