• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hiss from Wrecker rear winch tensioner, What's normal?

jhooah

Group has a M543A3 Wrecker, since returning from Afghanistan last week, I've got her running (Albiet on 5+ year old fuel) the brake master rebuilt today and the boom lift cylinder hose replaced.

I noticed a hiss of air leaking from the rear winch tensioner (looks like a Semi-Truck brake actuator)
Anyone know what "normal" is for this, (like is there a pressure valve making the noise?) and if it's leaking, source for a possible replacement? As this is very close to a commercial brake actuator in appearance, I would think Bendix or such has one available at NAPA. Worst case I'll cap the line for safety as I would not want to loose air pressure if the hiss turns into a BIGGER leak.
V/R
Adrian Winget
Virginia

Virginia Military Preservation Association www.VMPA.us

jhooah

Thanks Mike.
I figured it was a simple part, I'll look through the Parts Manuals and see what references, then hit NAPA if I do find it's leaking (and not the line or fitting)
Thanks again.
V/R Adrian
Next to find a right side PTO for an old Spicer transmission in that beast...Then the front winch can be set back up.

54reo

Mine (M816) leaks BAD from the same source. I have yet to get around to fixing it, but I assume it is the diaphragm.

Gamagoat1

There's nothing to making a new one, the hard part is finding the material to make the diaghram then punching all those little holes.
They are really fun rigs if you like tinkering on machines. Lots to fine tune.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks