• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

historic-c-5-plane-to-make-final-landing

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spotted this today and thought it might be of interest.

DOVER, Del. (AP) -- A historic military plane will make its final landing at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware.
The Tennessee Air National Guard's 164th Airlift Wing is set to deliver the C-5A on Wednesday.
The Air Mobility Command Museum says the aircraft will be part of the organization's collection. The museum says it's the only plane to successfully launch an intercontinental ballistic missile in flight. While the test over the Pacific Ocean was a success, the tactic was not pursued.
During the next few months, the functioning military plane will be transformed into a museum piece. It will be officially retired in October and after a public ceremony in November, the plane will become the only C-5 in the world accessible to the public.

http://www.manufacturing.net/news/2...?et_cid=3409212&et_rid=54663112&linkid=http:/

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That brings back memories. My family all went out to see the first flight of the C5 Galaxy in Marietta, Georgia back in 1968. I remember that something went wrong - I believe some tires blew out - can't really remember, and we had to go back the next day for the first flight. There were thousands of people watching the first flight. It was like a giant party with a lot of people having picnics. That thing was big! The only plane larger than the C5 that I have seen is the Russian Antonov AN-225. I had a chance to see it in Europe years ago - unbelievably huge.

Trainman

Yep. Brings back lots of memories. I was stationed at Dover from 1997-2000 and obviously worked on C-5's. Was a beast of a plane and still amazes me the things it could carry and the distinctive sound it makes upon takeoff. I fly out of Dover a few times a year and it is always neat to see those big birds. They now have C-17's there too. But I will always be a C-5 guy!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks