• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Historic tags for 97 M35A3

Franc Tireur

I've seen some guys tag their 90's A3's with historic plates. It looks like there are some cost savings with title and insurance for doing so.

How do you tag a 90's truck as historic? Thanks.

3dAngus

This question is more specific for a Pennsylvania owner. Hope someone responds.

Every state is different. Some will refuse to tag with anything other than commercial.
Check with your state DMV, or, ask another from Penn. what or how they did it.
The state regs are online if it helps, but someone in your area might get you a workaround.
Good luck with it.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A M35A3 will still have the original 60's /70's vin on the frame rail.
I know of people that have used that vin and corresponding year for the SF97 and title paperwork to get historic registration.
Example: data plate says 1997 AM General and frame vin could be to a 1969 Kaiser Jeep.

Thunder in NWOR

My M35A3 w/w, with 8/95 dated axels, purchased out of Sparta, and stationed at Indiana Army Reserve unit according to bumper numbers, has the M35A3 vin number stamped on the left frame rail (on the outside just behind the driver's side wheel)....

Welder Sam

I AZ the truck has to be 25 years old.
same in Ar. however, theres no usage restrictions other than mods, towing, and hauling.

as Angus said, look whithin your own state for the answers you seek and disregard all else as they likely have no first hand knowledge of your specifics. good luck

Franc Tireur

Thanks guys. My M35A3 deuce arrived and i'm looking forward to making her a beut.

The SF97 form asks for the VIN...i'm guessing this is not the NSN or six digit number on the data panel. Where is the VIN?

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
6 digit vin begining with 5 for the A3 conversion
also on the frame will be the original A2 vin - drivers side frame rail in front of axle center

I.E. 0540-20437
The A3 vin of I.E. 501234 may also be stamped to the rear of axle center.