• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Historical Archives and old TM's

Crazyguyla

After scouring the web and other sources trying to locate the TM's for the compressor sitting on the back of my duece, I decieded it was time to get serious and go ask the guys working at the Engineer Museam here at Ft Leonard Wood. The older guy that worked in the gift shop directed me to the post library. I went there and asked the lady at the front desk where the old military manuals are filed. she told me on the second floor; so to help me locate them faster, i asked her where on the second floor and she responded up the stairs sir!! nice ambigous directions. I went upstairs and asked the lady up there ( seems they keep the smart people on the second floor ) and she quickly gave me the number for the engineer historian and his archivist. I quickly called the archivist about the manuals I needed. She informed me they were on the shelf and gave ne directions to the historical archive on base. Picture this, the archive was in the basement of the post HQ bldg, down a long hallway.. all that was missing was creepy music and that eerie flashing floresent bulb, I degress.. The good news was they had the original manuals and manuals with all the changes and all i had to do to copy them, was bring my own paper and sit in front of the copy machine and.. copy. I asked about other TM's they might have on file, but the only one's they had for the duece was TM 9-8022 and TM 9-8024 and a few 9-2320-209 manuals. there was also a TM 9-8000 from the 50's there too. When I get another free day from work, i'm going back down and copy those three manuals and possibly get them converted to PDF's. There selection on anything not engineering is limited. :roll:

The archivist did mention that I should contact Carlisle Barracks since they have the most extensive collection of historic manuals in the army. Anyone live near Carlisle Barracks willing to check out their collection? 8)

Anyone have any request for engineering manuals that are no longer in print? PM me with requests. it might take time since I can only do this on free time :)

Also, there are the Chemical and MP historians on base too, just haven't been to met them yet.

houdel

A couple of suggestions to help save you some time copying. There are quite a few manuals on this website at http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&tid=1.

Also, many manuals, including the complete 9-2320-209 and 9-2320-361 series of manuals are available for FREE download at the LOGSA site. I've downloaded about all the Deuce manuals I could find. See
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4154
for instructions to access LOGSA. It may take a little bit of work to find a particular manual as their search engine is a little fussy about how you enter your request. If you can't find what you need, try entering a partial TM number or a partial TM name in the appropriate search field.

If you search the appropriate sections of the -20 and -34 TMs for the component you are working on, they will often refer to a specific TM to service that component.

If you are on dial-up and can't afford the time to download the TMs you need, let me know what particular manauls you are interested in. If I have them or can download them, I can burn them to a CD and mail it to you.

I haven't been able to download TM 9-8000, but I was able to find TM 9-2320-356-BD, Battlefield Damage and Assessment, dated Dec 1987.

Hope this helps, Lee

Crazyguyla

The point of the posting is:

First: A source for Obsolete manuals that are not avalible thru LOGSA or thru any of the reproduction companies.

Second: To copy files from the military archives here on Ft Leonard Wood, all it take is time and copy paper. Unless everyone likes spending $$$ for reproduction manuals.

Finally: Most bases have some form of historical archive waiting to be researched with manuals going back.... ;)

2cents

Marcus

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks