• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Historical Responsibility?

Chi Gamma Iota

First time posting... Bought an M1008 yesterday... camo paint, new tires, no rust anywhere, excellent interior, motor just purrs, 64k miles... has troop seats in good condition, I mean the truck is just plain excellent. ...and not just for a 30-year old, but for a truck of any age. I plan to use it as a "daily driver" though I don't really go out that much. Problem? I thought I'd paint it in some gloss color and more or less "civilianize" it... but it is such a fine example of its breed, I'm feeling it would be some kind of sacrilege.

Any my of you folks out there feel this way or know where I'm at? Would appreciate any advice, input, opinion or reality check.

Thanks in advance all!

DieselBob

Here's my 2cents. It's you vehicle so I would say it's your decision on what to change or keep original. If I had that nice of a example as you described I would tend to keep it as original as possible partly because so many are customized to fit the owners needs or wants it's nice to see how they were originally.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep it stock. You have a collectable vehicle. Buy a common vehicle for everyday use; you and the vehicles will be much happier.

armytruck63

I drive a gas-sipping import car as my daily driver. Some the money I save by driving this goes for diesel fuel for my thirsty 5-ton. I had an M1009 that I used for a while as a daily driver while I was between import cars.

If it were me, I would save the nice M1008 as a collector vehicle and drive something else on a daily basis.

Chi Gamma Iota

Great to have all the feedback! I'm going to paint the undercarriage for protection and keep the rest as-is. I can always paint it later if I want or need to, but guess there no need to rush into it. Besides, "Heavy-Dee" my deuce-and-a-half HAS to be painted, so... But I'm driving the chev, camo or not... Too awesome not to! Thanks, all!

welpro222

I just bought one too, and feel a sense of responsibility to keep it original. Although I may convert to 12v, because I can always change it back. Also the person before me swapped out gearing to 3.73, which is fine with me.

Flyingvan911

You could use military colors but in a more civilian style. Such as 383 green with black and brown stripes. That way it still is a military truck but without causing soccer moms to think you are going to eat their babies. He, he.

bryancarson

1968-chevrolet-camaro-427-copo-rear-3-quarter-driver-side.jpgI'm painting mine this color (still green) with rhino liner bottom 6inches and in the bed of coarse, but mine has rust bleeding thru the porous camo paint every where. Not as nice as yours sounds.

Drock

Trust me you'll end up loving the military look of your truck. It'unique, if you paint it shiny it just another old truck in the parking lot. Plus you'll never have to worry about scratchs or door dings. You'll just have to get used to everyone asking you about your truck every time you stop:wink:

welpro222

Trust me you'll end up loving the military look of your truck. It'unique, if you paint it shiny it just another old truck in the parking lot. Plus you'll never have to worry about scratchs or door dings. You'll just have to get used to everyone asking you about your truck every time you stop:wink:
That is the same way I felt too

Chi Gamma Iota

Well, if I do paint it, won't be right away... and I'll be thinking long and hard before I do, based on input from all you brethren. Like I said earlier, I just bought this truck, and she and I are not presently co-located. Have to get some paperwork done and through the New York State DMV. Rather crawl naked over broken glass than go there, but one does what one must. Anyway, I will post pics as requested when I get her home... of the truck, not of me doing the broken glass thing...:shock:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Much rather see gloss paint rather than the Sawzall Specials coming out of the woodwork.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks