• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

History of M35A2

Hainebd

Anybody know of where or have a source for information on the Deuce and a half? Need as much as I can get from producers, number produced, shipped overseas, kept in reserve here in the states, then the usefulness info like life expectancy miles and/or time, tons of cargo moved during conflict, conflicts used in. Any other info is appreciated. I can find all kinds of power info but if you know any thing else pleas share. I am going to the Sussex, NJ swap and show April 18 so if there is a vendor or member with somthing let me know so I can get.

Thank you you for your support,
Brian

Hainebd

Great information. Looks like I am buying some books.

school report for my grand daughter. She picked the subject and asked if I would help. I am assuming that Brute influenced her or she just wants to spend time with me. Go figure a 13 year old wanting to share her time with an old fart. County libraries have general info. Internet has more. I know the SS members have it all. Now I just got to get them to share.

thank you and m grand daughter thanks you.

Brian

Just thinking about this, I hope she is not expecting me to write her report.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Dave is a great guy and wonderful to talk to. Seems he hasn't been on here much since he became editor of mv mag.

Hainebd

That is the trouble with life, the more you know, the more you can do, the more you have to do, the less time you have for important suff like playing with the kids. I was flying kites yesterday, trying to, even though we only got one out of three up we had fun. Then dinner, not the usual ham, Mac & cheese, Patato salad but was good. The big meal will be later due to main cook being out of commission due to foot surgery.

You our have to make time for those you love or they get pushed back behind all the really unimportant stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope you find all the info you need. Spent yesterday with the family and the granddaughters wanted GrandPa to tickle them. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ditto. I'd love to read the final version. CARNAC might be of great help, but only for a short time....

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it's great that your granddaughter is interested in Deuces!! I’m not sure what the scope of her paper is, but I just had a couple of ides pop into my head that I want to share. Download the TM's from SS and walk her through them, focusing mainly on TM 9-2320-209-10-1. Show her the different models, and explain the differences. Use Google Images to help with explaining the variations. Take her out to your Deuce and teach her the mechanics of it from bow to stern. Give her a pair of gloves and safety glasses, and let her crawl underneath it (with a cold engine, of course). Explain what a multi-fuel engine is. Help her climb up on the fender and give her a tour of the engine. Teach her about the air over hydraulic braking system, and how it differs from the brakes on modern vehicles. Explain the difference between disk and drum brakes. Explain the difference between single circuit and dual circuit braking systems. Teach her about the transfer case – what it does, how it works, why it is an important part of the truck. Contact her teacher ahead of time and ask if you can bring the truck to her school so she can present the paper with the truck. That way her entire class can see the truck up close and personal! :)

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it's great that your granddaughter is interested in Deuces!! I’m not sure what the scope of her paper is, but I just had a couple of ides pop into my head that I want to share. Download the TM's from SS and walk her through them, focusing mainly on TM 9-2320-209-10-1. Show her the different models, and explain the differences. Use Google Images to help with explaining the variations. Take her out to your Deuce and teach her the mechanics of it from bow to stern. Give her a pair of gloves and safety glasses, and let her crawl underneath it (with a cold engine, of course). Explain what a multi-fuel engine is. Help her climb up on the fender and give her a tour of the engine. Teach her about the air over hydraulic braking system, and how it differs from the brakes on modern vehicles. Explain the difference between disk and drum brakes. Explain the difference between single circuit and dual circuit braking systems. Teach her about the transfer case – what it does, how it works, why it is an important part of the truck. Contact her teacher ahead of time and ask if you can bring the truck to her school so she can present the paper with the truck. That way her entire class can see the truck up close and personal! :)
I second the above but suggest to also show her (and the class) the old fording video.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So far everthing I have found is a mixed bag. We are focusing on just M35A2. So any help is a appreciated.
CARNAC has some access to information little have. He can filter down to specific models I'm pretty sure...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
David was working on a deuce book but as far as I know he has never finished it.

mcmullag

seems like the write up on Wikipedia would help ya. Have owned two and read much about them and have read a lot but never have learned how many were made, it appears 7 different companies originally made them from 1953 to 1989.
Met a guy at a car show who worked in the Indiana plant that did the ESP program creating the M35a3.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that's the one. And no, it is not an M35A2. But I say 'close enough for government work" and really cool.
Although that video was of an early model Deuce fording, the fording capability is STILL one of the performance parameters retained in the later models. This could easily be used/mentioned in the written history of the M35A2 without much "literary license" or any "close enough" factor.

IMHO

Hainebd

This is great. Info and ideas are flowing. I going to have to dress Brute up some. Mirrors are still banged up. It will happen. She has till end of school year to finish.

thanks again

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks