• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hitch conversions

l1a1man

Anyone change their pintles to a standard ball hitch? Trying to find the easiest ones and what you did.

Skinny

Not sure why you specifically need a hitch (maybe for a receiver hitch accessory) but you can buy a combination pintle/ball which is what will find its way onto my M1031 soon.

jdknech

be careful with the combo pintle/ball hitches.. we put one on the M1031 and went to hook up the m101A2 trailer and it wouldnt fit over the ball.. the hitch one the trailer(it has a name, but i cant think of it) was to thick, and would not fit through the space between the ball and the "back" of the pintle hitch... but that was with a 2 5/16 ball..

chvss65

I had a local welding shop put on a weld on receiver under the pintle hitch on the bumper,,there is a flat spot there to weld to.. couple of gussets to beef it up the whole bumper is gonna come off before the receiver,,,and the original pintle is untouched and in place,,,,cost me a hundred bucks in shop time

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

be careful with the combo pintle/ball hitches.. we put one on the M1031 and went to hook up the m101A2 trailer and it wouldnt fit over the ball.. the hitch one the trailer(it has a name, but i cant think of it) was to thick, and would not fit through the space between the ball and the "back" of the pintle hitch... but that was with a 2 5/16 ball..

I got one from Tractor Supply. Don't recall the brand. It works fine with my 101A2, and it's rated at 10,000 lbs.

Guess it depends which one you get.

I'm using it to tow my trailer with my Cherokee, until I get my 1008 up and running.

MarcusOReallyus

Oh, I was referring to the hitch, not the receiver. I wouldn't go with one welded on to the bumper. Noooo, not me! Uh-uh!

When I get my 1008 running, I plan to put a standard receiver on the beast, for times when I need to tow something other than my 101A2 trailer.

The hitch I got is a 3 ball plus pintle, and works great in any 2" receiver. Using the pintle, it's rated at 10,000 pounds, so it should be good for what I haul.

Here's the one I got:

Buyers Tri-Ball with Pintle Hook, 10,000 GTW - 1891048 | Tractor Supply Company

Asgar

Ditto on the 'I welded on a tractor supply reciever' and added gussetts. This has worked great for me, the pintle is still there for commercial / Mil trailers and the reciever with a drop hitch is availiable for civy trailers. I found the CUCV bumper center to be very strong & well reinforced. Paint the reciever hitch green and it looks stock.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
If anyone has a complete M1009 pintle hitch, I could sure use one. I have one with no hitch and about 4 weeks from needing it.

PM me.

K9Vic

I got a pintle/ ball hitch at harbor freight tools for $35,
How long ago?
That has been disconnected for some time now and was 1/2 the price as anywhere else, even less with a 20% off coupon. It is a Harbor Freight in house brand, Haul Master and probably made in China.

I have one of these and it works well with M101A2 trailers pintle, plenty of room.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks