• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hitch Ratings

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im pretty sure the hitch is rated for ALOT more than what the truck is rated to pull. The pintle hitch I have on my pickup truck is rated for 30k, and looks tiny next to the one on my 5 ton.

Last edited:

Bighurt

25 ton with a vertical load is 7 tons I think.

But I'm looking up the specs now.

Edit: I found the NSN and will look up specs at work.

Just a point of Fact the:

M5 Earthmover
M5157 Crusher
M809 Series
M939 Series
M977 Series

All use the same hook.

Last edited:

Bighurt

I looked at the Holland but the specs where different. The Hook in question is manufactured by AMSTA in house. There are no cross references to any other manufactured part.

Buttweet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Concerning loads, how heavy is the tag you are installing on your truck? Just installed a 30,000 lb tag on mine. Max load is 31,600 on my 923. Trailer tongue weight will load it down when moving a 45,000 lb dozer. DOT has no mercy if you exceed the tag weight limit in Ga. A CDL is also required.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tow limit in GA is 10,000, or Class A required, tongue weight is 10% of total trailer weight. (Recommended)
Again, just how big a tag are you planning? You can easily hoist one of our trucks by the pintle.
No way can the trucks out pull the hitches.
BUT, If you have a spare, I have the equipment to pull one apart and give you the ultimate rating........

Buttweet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not concerned about the hitch. I`m concerned about DOT and their portable scales they carry around with them. My trailer grosses out at 60K..... Have a class A , so the tag limits my legal load.
Thanks

grunex125

well....the load I was planning on towing would possibly be about 43,000 Trailer..... Add the 817 to it and I would be about 68,000. (GCVW) I'm not so concerned as to whether or not I could or coudn't pull or handle the load, what concerns me more is how much weight I will have to transfer to the Hitch to travel. The trailer I am looking at is a tandem axle trailer with 47,900 GVW. And up here in MN we have a little part in our laws that says even if the gross weight does not exceed the total gross of the trailer if one axle is overweight, that still constitutes an overweight vehicle. So what I am trying to contemplate is how much weight will be have to be transfered to the back two axles of the truck and ultimately to the pintle hitch.
Am I making sense at all. This for me is more of a load distribution question, and in turn what can those pintle hooks take for strain. From what you guys have told me here I believe the hook to be strong enough to support the 6-8K that I may have to put on it in a verticle load situation.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have used my pintle hitch a few times but the truck didnt seem to like pulling super heavy loads with it like my excavator. and my pintle trailer is high capacity rated it is just not very long. so I installed a gooseneck plate on mine. heated treated rating at 40k,but would hold alot more im sure. I am going to look at a way to have a short bed and still be able to run the gooseneck and be able to still turn pretty short. Video of my 5 ton on 5cyls towing my JD120 excavator. I couldnt imagine how it would pull running in tip top shape.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJSXyW0EnQ0[/media]

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks