• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hitch

alphadeltaromeo

It's simple and effective. It wasn't expensive. I had a Ford 15 passenger van that I had sold earlier this year. I wanted to keep the towing equipment, so I took the receiver hitch off, as well as the trailer brake and associated wiring.

This past weekend the old hitch was cut down and re-welded to fit the frame rail of the deuce. I was able to easily drill through the frame to bolt the hitch to. I'll emphasize easy, as initially it was kickin' my 'hind, but I had my son bring over the floor jack and that made the job very easy. The hitch that I had bolted to the deuce was strengthened on each side with a few runs of weld. I do need to paint it OD and shall...so before I get comments about "Now you need to paint it OD!"...there you have it :wink:

Andy

Attachments

alphadeltaromeo

Appreciated. Ok...pre-modifying the rating was:

Used as load-bearing and trailer braked
1. 5,030lbs max
2. 500lbs tongue

Used with weight-bearing hitch
1. 10,000lbs max
2. 1,000lbs tongue

I will add that I have shortened the hitch, so a minimal gain will be yielded there. How much? I aint got a clue there :? but I'll run it with the manufacturers specs anyway.

Andy

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I like how well it tucks up and out of the way.

ditto-as always, nice work, Andy :beer:

alphadeltaromeo

Thanks very much Clint...I'm trying very hard to come up to your standards [thumbzup] but I have a ways to go still.

I will need a 5 or 6" drop hitch for the correct trailer connection and haven't purchased that yet.

DavidB

Nice installation, now you can pull any trailer short of a fifth wheel.
Drop hitch may determine your weight limit. Go with the solid bar heavy drop for highest rating.
DavidB

DeuceDale

I was going to buy a hitch to modify for my deuce, but me being cheap, decided to build my own. Here's a pic of it before I got it painted. BTW the bumperetts were gone before I got the truck.

Most receiver bars I've seen are 4000 lb max trailer weight for a 10" drop, there are solid cast bars that are 8-10,000 max trailer weight

Attachments

Elwenil

Another thing you can try is buy a hitch for multiple trucks. A lot of the "parts store" hitches will fit a few different full size trucks and the side plates and the crossbar are separate pieces. The crossbar slides inside a welded tube on the side plates and a bolt goes through each piece to lock it in. If you use one of these kits, you can cut down the crossbar to the right length and center it in the plates and drill new holes for the bolts to lock it together. I used this method when I put a hitch on my bob'd '74 dodge W100. I didn't want to have the hitch down low so it would hang me up. that would defeat the purpose of bobbing it. So I narrowed the hitch and attached it to the top lip of the frame rails with the crossbar actually between the inside of the frame rails. It worked like a charm and towed very well with no ill effects. Just my .02

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks