• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV 1992 6.5 Troubleshooting

ltrpd

I just received my 1992 Hmmwv from govplanet. They had it running, when I tried to start it, it did nothing. I charged the batteries
and they have a full charge. I checked the shunt and it tested ok. All wires are tight on shunt and batteries. The wait light comes on and goes out after 5 seconds, try to start no crank. I then jumped the neutral safety switch and no crank. tried to start it in gear no start. any help would be appreciated. Thanks,Ralph

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just received my 1992 Hmmwv from govplanet. They had it running, when I tried to start it, it did nothing. I charged the batteries
and they have a full charge. I checked the shunt and it tested ok. All wires are tight on shunt and batteries. The wait light comes on and goes out after 5 seconds, try to start no crank. I then jumped the neutral safety switch and no crank. tried to start it in gear no start. any help would be appreciated. Thanks,Ralph
you do have the shifter in neutral right? You need to check voltages at the starter, making sure you have 24v.
but if you turn the key and get nothing, and I mean nothing...no click, I Would look at the starter solenoid.
go whaack the starter with a hammer a few times....also, you should be able to jump the starter from the POS as stud to the solenoid and bypass the start switch to see if the solenoid is good.

papakb

For all of you new and old HMMWV owners here's one of the best troubleshooting guides I've seen for the HMMWV:

https://hummerhuren.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/hmmwv_test-diagnostics.pdf

Other than that, download the HMMWV manuals and learn how to follow their troubleshooting flow charts. They're pretty good but take a little time to learn how to use them. Manuals can be dowlnloaded here:

http://www.imfmotorpool.com/HMMWV_M998_Manuals.html

Kurt
KG6KMJ

Last edited:

ltrpd

I jumped the Humvee from the ste/ice port and it started right up. Turned it off and tried to start normally and no click. Any thoughts? Could it be the rotary switch. Ralph

papakb

If you jumped it from the STE/ICE connector and it worked you just verified the starter and solenoid are good. The start switches do fail occasionally. I'd also look for a broken wire or a separated connector.

Kurt

papakb

In the PCB there is something called a reverse polarity relay that will inhibit starting to protect the truck if the batteries get installed backwards so it is possible that you have a bad PCB but with their high cost I'd make sure it was the problem before changing it out.

Kurt

ltrpd

I put my functioning Nartron EESS from my 1987 HMMWV in my 1992 HMMWV that has the no crank issues. When installed it now has a flashing Wait light and then no crank. I hear the thunk under the hood. I tried to jump it from the ste/ice
but just white smoke. I have not checked glow plugs. The glow plug controller is also a nartron. So Starter cranks when jumped, Rotary switch is good. EESS works in my 1987 HMMWV. What else can I troubleshoot. Thanks Again for everyones help,Ralph

HUMVEE1

Your eess PCB must be mated to a matched GPC. Always disconnect the batteries before connecting or disconnecting the PCB.
I had the same issue exactly in that the truck would only start from the ste/ice port (the windshield hinge pin clip fits perfect) and I replaced the PCB, GPC and glow plugs and the problem was solved.
I replaced the PCB because the truck had a tendency to keep the starter engaged after starting.
If you install a GPC matched to the EESS and have good plugs I think your problem will be solved on the 1992. Then you can just order replacement parts for the 1987.
You can also copy the info from the GPC in the 1987 if you don't want to risk removing it (breaking it off).