• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV anti theft devices?

tage

I woke up to someone out in front of my house scouting the hmmwv. I ship out in a week, and can't take her with for at least 9 months.

What makes the hmmwv DOA?
I'm planning to pull batteries before I leave, But want to make sure they're spending time under the hood before they roll off with her.

Last edited by a moderator:

tage

If they don't know squat about them, pull the wire from the fuel injection pump solenoid and tuck it under somewhere.
Hmmm that's a good idea. I was thinking letting it run dry and just wait till I get leave to bleed it and ship it out.
The guy was taking pictures in my driveway so I'm pretty sure a tire would be a null effort.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best case scenario is find someone fairly local who can secure it for you. Probably someone on here could. I had great luck with that when I had to leave my trucks in NC ahead of my move there.

Action

I see ppl taking pictures with mine all the time. they just think it is cool. If you pull the wire from the pump, use a MASTER cable lock and run between the hood hoops. this will keep anyone from opening the hood. Turn the front wheels and use the lock under the dash to hold it in place.

Mike82ndABN

If i was leaving for 9 months and had good intel someone was planning on stealing my truck while i was gone, i would probably remove the tie rods and the radius rods. Good luck driving or towing it anywhere.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best case scenario is find someone fairly local who can secure it for you. Probably someone on here could. I had great luck with that when I had to leave my trucks in NC ahead of my move there.
This is probably the best idea I've seen. Unattended is not good no matter what electrical or mechanical trickery is devised. If they can't get it running or tow it away, they will take things loose and sell pieces! I wish I were closer to you! Calling all SS in AZ?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Parts can be stripped from any vehicle not adequately secured.
Vandalism has not yet been mentioned, but is worth your consideration as well.

I personally prefer the idea quoted above. Find a secure location.
You can use the MEMBER MAP button in the tool bar at the top of every SS webpage to locate SS Members near you. Send them a PM and use this network of enthusiasts to your best advantage.

Be safe in your travels.
Keep your vehicle safe awaiting your return.

Vaya con Dios!
John

tage

Thanks guys for your responses.
I have ****ty not declared value comprehensive. One more year before I hit age for collector. Go figure.
I'm going to drop it off at the family's property. I don't think think I'm going to have enough time to put it on blocks, but I'll tuck it away behind the tractors.
I can't believe how brazen this guy was. I was only able to get the first 3 of the plate. I ****ing hate thieves.

Action

I said I have declared value, but it is NOT collector stustus. Mine is registered as a 2013.
Park your humvee against the house and put another vehicle behind it.
Or just go buy a cheap motion camera and put in the house window.

Awol

I said I have declared value, but it is NOT collector stustus. Mine is registered as a 2013.
Park your humvee against the house and put another vehicle behind it.
Or just go buy a cheap motion camera and put in the house window.
This is a good idea. If you cant store it in a secure location, parking other vehicles around it and disabling the truck is a pretty safe way to store it. Sounds like it should be safe at your families place though.

Did it look like the guy was just checking it out because its cool? Or did he look like he couldn't keep his hands to himself?

Texas187

Good call on the tie/radius rods rout, + batts etc., have been one to load a biggie without tie rods...major pain in the a**. With a 37" tire...GLWS!

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

I agree with finding a place to keep it while you're gone. If someone wants it badly enough they will get it but if it's kept somewhere else it would take them forever to find it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks