• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Battery / Requirements

GMVguy

Having trouble finding replacement Interstate 6TL batteries for my M998. The ones recommended in other thread's aren't available around me. Just Walmart and auto parts stores. Are there any common, readily available batteries that will work as good or better than the 6TL?

V8Merc124

Are you looking for the correct military replacement? I used a pair of Interstate MTP 78's. About $125 each at my local mom'n'pop tractor parts store. I couldn't find anything local aside from that.

GMVguy

Yeah I haven't been able to find anything local... Guess I gotta place an order and wait.

GMVguy

Are you looking for the correct military replacement? I used a pair of Interstate MTP 78's. About $125 each at my local mom'n'pop tractor parts store. I couldn't find anything local aside from that.
No, just trying to find something local that has the same dimensions and at least the same specs. Would like to use the original brackets.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Napa, or most of the chain store can get them.

Find an interstate dealer.

Google, "6tl battery"

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6TL prices seem to be all over the place IMHO....I always used them in my HMMWV's till the price went through the roof several years ago...these were alway from my supplier, so at that time I went with Optima Red tops and used the adapter trays so they sit in the battery tray meant for the 6TL battery foot print. Over time I found the optimas were junk.
i loose optimas in a truck in about 2-3yrs, I had a set of 6TL's in my slant back last 7yrs!
They do require maint though....now I can get 6TL again for 125.00 ea....so that's what I buy.

KansasBobcat

I went with optima red tops on adaptor trays. Only problem was that the GI terminals tended to rise as I tightened them. I think there is more taper on optima posts. I have had good luck with Optimas in other vehicles. Much lighter than 6TLs!

GMVguy

I noticed the O'Reilly and Napa 6TL's have lower rated Cranking Amps (and Cold Cranking Amps) than the original military 6TLs. That ok?

GMVguy

The 6TL prices seem to be all over the place IMHO....I always used them in my HMMWV's till the price went through the roof several years ago...these were alway from my supplier, so at that time I went with Optima Red tops and used the adapter trays so they sit in the battery tray meant for the 6TL battery foot print. Over time I found the optimas were junk.
i loose optimas in a truck in about 2-3yrs, I had a set of 6TL's in my slant back last 7yrs!
They do require maint though....now I can get 6TL again for 125.00 ea....so that's what I buy.
Where do you get your 6TLs for $125?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks