• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV bead lock wheel width?

qmikep

I have been trying to figure out the width of HMMWV bead locks, as I am debating whether or not to use a re-centered pair on a current project I have. It is my understanding that all HMMWV bead locks ( 8, 12 and 24 bolt) are 8.25" wide. However I have seen them described as 9.75" wide from a number of sources . Could anyone possibly confirm that they are all 8.25" wide , or do they in fact come in different widths?

Thank you,

86m1028

It's in the way people measure the wheel.
Outside edge to outside edge is 9.75in.
The CORRECT way to measure is bead to bead
(Like Gringletaube posted) 8.25in

EDIT: There are some wider ones out there but they have been widened (custom)

Last edited:

KsM715

What exactly are you referring to? 8, 12,24 bolt refers to the wheels themselves. The beadlock part of the HMMWV's wheel is the run flat as earlier mentioned

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, beadlock-(inserts) and beadlock-(wheels) are different things, but I think the OP's question clearly was about the HMMWV's stock wheel width - 8.25 or 9.75 inches.
The rubber beadlock/runflat insert itself is only 6-3/4" wide.

G.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I last looked at the TrailworthyFab site, when you order the PVC beadlocks they want to know the exact tire you are planning to run in order to make them the correct size. The rubber beadlocks have a little squish to them, where a PVC or other hard plastic won't, so sizing will be a little more critical.

BadAndy666

When I last looked at the TrailworthyFab site, when you order the PVC beadlocks they want to know the exact tire you are planning to run in order to make them the correct size. The rubber beadlocks have a little squish to them, where a PVC or other hard plastic won't, so sizing will be a little more critical.
Yea, i agree
yes, i agree.
i was hoping someone here was also using them on stock h1 tirez like me and could share some sizing.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. Im a machinist in a plastic factory and can easily make em myself, just need dimensions
Not so easy as you might think.....
....... The rubber beadlocks have a little squish to them, where a PVC or other hard plastic won't, so sizing will be a little more critical.
Exactly.
Plastic is also much less resilient than the stock rubber part. So in order to keep at least some pressure on the tire beads once everything is bolted in place you will have to be very precise with your WOA. It certainly has to be less than 6-3/4" (post #8 ) since your creation won't compress that much. (unless your material was soft enough, but then - after only a couple days - there would not remain any residual force to keep the tire beads firmly seated.)

Anyway, your base material would have to be a pipe with an ID of 16.0" and OD of minimum 17.25", better 17.5" As said, the exact width will have to be determined by trial and error. Keep in mind that the ends of that cylinder are not cut straight but slightly conical (decreasing towards the center). This is to follow the angle of the beads. Also the stock rubber RF bore is stepped. The outer side is slightly larger, at +/-16.2". That is because the outer wheel half is a bit larger than the inner half.

Having said all that, isn't this like trying to reinvent the wheel...? I really wonder why people (with access to a big lathe) don't simply modify their original runflats by cutting/grinding off the heavy donut portion and keeping just the inner rubber "band" for an (unaltered) beadlock function, just as from factory.
(I may have done a hundred of them, already. Easy enough, IMHO - and cheaper too, I guess...)

2018-04-15 17.54.22.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks