• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Body Panel Tooling

jjcatqfi

Hello,
I am curious what the current feeling on the longevity of the HMMWV collector market might be. I was/am a vendor to AM General and the DOD directly for various body panels specifically fenders hoods door turret tops and windshield frames. Now that the military use of this vehicle is done, would the volume be there in the collector market? I see a lot of my stuff (windshield frames) for example selling for less than the raw materials cost, $65 for a windshield frame (on eBay) that has $115 worth of Aluminum Extrusions (my cost before 1 second of work is done to form and fabricate) doesn't make good business sense to try to continue with.

Secondary to that, without sounding like an ad, are there people out there looking to get into making parts? OR wanting parts made? My contacts at Kascar, SECO, other suppliers really don't want to buy in volumes that make me interested in producing these parts again.

just wondering what to do with a lot of heavy iron and no real interest in it.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I have 2 humvees.Some body parts are really hard to come by.I rebuilt 2 other ones,and some of the body panels kascar didnt have.

KsM715

If you could get the DOD to surplus out the HMMWV's to the general public you would have many, many more potential customers. But as it is, there is a very limited market for you to keep making new parts.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Concur, complain to the deaf senators/congressmen that helped in blowing our money in making them yet having them shredded into tiny bits. Sore subject.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Out of curiosity, do you have any in-place agreements with AM-General, or any other current license/patent holders related to the HMMWV? As I recall, most of the civilian aftermarket body-makers who were producing look-alike bodies for 1-ton pickup frames (and others) were either all bought out or litigated out of existence not too long ago...how would this potentially affect your plans?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Out of curiosity, do you have any in-place agreements with AM-General, or any other current license/patent holders related to the HMMWV? As I recall, most of the civilian aftermarket body-makers who were producing look-alike bodies for 1-ton pickup frames (and others) were either all bought out or litigated out of existence not too long ago...how would this potentially affect your plans?
This is a MV forum not a legal advice forrum , there is no need to discuss past ,present or future litigation of his products . This site is about discussing the the products themselves as related to MV's . IMHO

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 2 cents on the subject is that we hobbyists are not the correct people to ask. As a group we are generally self financed, sometimes at the expense of our retirement funding. So as a rule we purchase parts where they can be found at low prices.

Much better to coordinate small production with the MV vendors of note. MV vendors with international recognition may best be able to answer questions about particular part requests and price points.

Rick

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless there is a specific part that people need and will pay "non surplus" prices for, I don't see it being profitable. Look at the A2 fuel tanks that flooded the market (just like the windshield frames) that were selling for $100 brand new or less. I replaced my tank just because I got a brand new one cheap, just to change out the 20+ year old one. I never would of done that if the tank wasn't dirt cheap.

jjcatqfi

Thanks for the info, that is the way i read the market as well. As for any rights guards on the products, i know which products i can and can not sell, so that is not really a concern. The DOD owns the drawings and are public property, 98% of the body could be made and resold by anyone. Just as long as your willing to invest in the tooling, presses, material, and all the wonderful costs associated with each piece. I guess i need to find someone that is making body kits and sell them the molds and dies.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AM Gen I am told now will hold no real inventory, they will of they get a contract source out the parts needed for a contract but only once it is financed by the govt or agency placing the order. I just bought a qty of complete beds, and left and right bed panals from AM gen....they are cheap. 1/4 panals on ebay are 50.00 NOS.
supply and demand....and as folks have stated, tons of surplus out there and growing everyday, the market is saturated.
this is Normal for all mil vehicles coming to end of life. The HMMWV has clearly lived is purpose since 1985.
they aren't going away anytime soon.....

TedG

Some items to consider reproducing/making but demand is limited:
Original style turret support
Original hard top windshield frame
M1114 style turret support
M1114 hardtop windshield frame and brackets
M1114 c-pillar bar
Special forces d-pillar mounts for connecting side racks to c-pillar
Special forces front half door with arm rest (rear doors are everywhere, but not front)
M1165 rear wall with or without access door
M1151/65 b-pillar rectangular tubes for turret support
M1151/65 rocker protection plates (only right rear available in surplus)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks