• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV coolant crossover tube install and temp readings..........

rsh4364

Another thing you mite want to check is the length of the probe for your gauge. The cheap Bosch mechanical gauge I have had a pretty long one . I don't think it would have fit in the top horizontal part of the crossover. All things considered It really wasn't worth it to me to have the truck out of service for ah week or more if something broke or didn't work. Or worse break while I'm 100 miles from home. So that's why I just spent the money and got the right one. One less thing to worry about yah know?
And you still have 2 more ports.Maybe 1 for electric fan sending unit and maybe a sacrificial anode.

Drock

so what is suppose to be the big advantage of doing the cross over tube ?? I am just reading about it and wording Why ?..
From the factory these trucks didn't come with ah temp gauge or any reasonable place to install the sensor. The 6.2 in the HMWWV's had electric fans, temp gauge , and some other gadgets I'm not sure of. So the crossover tubes for them have 3 extra threaded bosses cast into them, allowing you to run ah temp gauge and get a CORRECT reading. As well as options for future upgrades.

AECS

And the crossover pipe is the last spot to put it before the radiator, so the water should be the hottest it will ever get.

Drock

And the crossover pipe is the last spot to put it before the radiator, so the water should be the hottest it will ever get.
Agree on most cars I recall seeing always had the sensor just down stream from the thermostat. Thus as AECS said it should be the hottest part of the system.

danoscooter

Bosch works

Another thing you mite want to check is the length of the probe for your gauge. The cheap Bosch mechanical gauge I have had a pretty long one . I don't think it would have fit in the top horizontal part of the crossover. All things considered It really wasn't worth it to me to have the truck out of service for ah week or more if something broke or didn't work. Or worse break while I'm 100 miles from home. So that's why I just spent the money and got the right one. One less thing to worry about yah know?
The Bosch probe is not too long. At first glance I thought it would be but with the adapter nut it didn't have any clearance issues. Just wanted to throw that out there because I always go to Advanced and Bosch was all they had on the shelf.

tourus

oh ok that is a great idea so what is the big secret to get one. if some has a part number I would go by one from the dealer and put it on. I seen a number cast in it but could not read it fully. or does some one have a supply of some to buy one from.

Drock

oh ok that is a great idea so what is the big secret to get one. if some has a part number I would go by one from the dealer and put it on. I seen a number cast in it but could not read it fully. or does some one have a supply of some to buy one from.
There's several of them on Ebay for under $50.00 to your door. just search HMMWV.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to a NAPA.

rsh4364

Go to a NAPA.
My local NAPA said they get them from same place,not many places making the brass/copper rads. any more.A little cheaper at A.Z.,finally received today.Will see if I can get old one rebuilt also.But Thankyou just the same. I paid a little over $325 and received a $75 gift card so not a bad deal.So I went to pick up today,box was banged up.I told them we need to pull out of box to check out,egg shaped water outlet smashed in inlet,another fail on their part.arrgh.

Last edited:

Drock

Okay so now I'm having a new problem. Over the past few days I've bin able to drive the truck on the highway (empty). The temp is getting just past 200 degrees at a constant speed of 65-70 MPH (Gear vendors), but then cool back down once I come to a stop or slow to around 55 MPH for ah while. I'm thinking I have ah bad thermostat? So I'm going to change it but was thinking perhaps I should go with ah 180 degree. I was just looking for one but all I could find was 190 & 195"s. Anybody know ah part number or where to get one?

Drock

180° or 190° thermostat??????

My other thread was getting ah little diluted so I figured I'd ask here..... After doing the HMMWV cross over swap, and installing the temp gauge in it. It's bin getting ah little over 200° when I'm driving down the highway at 70+ MPH (Gear Vendors). But when I slow down to around 55 MPH for ah while, or come to a compete stop. The temp will drop back down to around 190°. I was thinking that I have ah bad thermostat (still the original) so I was going to change it out. Would there be any benefit to using a 180° vs 190° ? And if so where can I find one? I've read that the after market stats aren't that great. AC DELCO on line has 2 or 3 180° ones listed but other then that I haven't bin able to find any others, and I'm not sure if the ones they're listing are for diesels? I found this supposed "Original part number" on line (14077122) but I would assume that this is ah 190°.

Drock

No I'm sure it's full. I've bin driving it for ah week or so now and the reservoir has long sense leveled out. I can't imagine there's any more air to purge out.

Skinny

I do not remember off the top of my head what the temp rating is but stick with the factory temp. No reason to deviate. If you are running too cold it needs radiator blockage in winter. If running too hot you have a malfunctioning cooling sytem. IMO of course :)

I have a mechanical temp gauge in the cylinder head port of my M1031. Mine will run almost 20-30 difference depending on outside temp and how much heat I am calling for in the cab on my short in town drives. If I'm out on the highway at a steady pace it tends to hold at about 180-190 all the time. Of course this may not be the exact temp but its how I gauge the operating temp being normal. If I am running hard up a hill on a very hot day it may reach 190-195 tops. It stays pretty consistent on the long haul drives. Around town you just never can really know if you will actually get up to temp when you only drive 5 miles.

Drock

Yeah I was reading in the TM's that normal operating temp is in between 190° & 230°. That just seems ah little excessive to me? Are diesels supposed to run hotter then gassers? Also I plan on installing ah banks turbo kit in the near future. Knowing that turbo's produce ah lot of underhood heat as well as warmer compressed air into the engine. I'd like to have the security of ah strong cooling system.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not cross post, threads merged.