• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv door binding

Aviator85

So far I can't seem to find anything about any door binding issues on the hmmwv.. so here's my problem.

I had a two man soft top setup and put hard doors on. The driver side felt really springy like it was binding on something when I tried to close it. I had to slam it pretty good to get it shut. The passenger door was a little springy but not bad. Only had to "kinda" slam it to shut. So I chalked it up to the doors not liking the soft top. I also took the drivers door completely apart to check if the aluminum guides were bent. But they werent.

Now I put on an helmet top and now the passenger doors front and rear shut perfectly. The drivers front shuts pretty good. Only a minimal amount of binding if any but the drivers rear is pretty bad. It seems to be binding pretty bad and have to put some force into it to get it to shut.

The driver rear hinge seems like it needs to be shimmed at the body to make it not bind and the seals to mate up to the body. But I'm not entirely sure.

The helmet top fits good and I checked all gaps and measurements multiple times so I don't think that's a problem.

Is this something that's common hmmwvs? Or did I just get a weird hmmwv? Aside from the weird door fitting issue it runs, drives, and tracks great. So I don't think it's been hit or ran into by anything but who knows.

Any info or theories on this? Thanks!

ZB

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had and have an opposite issue with loose doors.

These doors are super easy to move and shim. You need to look at how they fit the door portal to see if they are too far front or back or up or down.

You have multiple adjustment screws.

Door striker posts have a some usable but limited amount of ability to move in and out and up and down. Locking mechanisms can be shimmed with washers to loosen doors.

I do not know if front door hinges that attach to the body can move in and out.

The hinges can eliminate binding front, top, back, or bottom with simple screw and nut adjustments.

Doors are fiberglass and as such might be warped, but unlike steel they are difficult to reshape. IMHO, fiberglass molded pieces are never exactly identical.

If gaskets to the doors are aftermarket they also might be tight or loose.

Slowly close the door and observe front and back and top and bottom as they close. A 2 inch wide piece of paper that is placed between the door and the portal as the door is closed will help identify loose and tight spots. Close the door and pull on the paper. Tight spots are hard to pull out and loose spots just pull out without effort. Then adjust and shim accordingly.

MHO.

T

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks