• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Doors - Hard or Soft?

My V came sans-doors...

So now I am starting the process of seeing who sells doors, and how much they cost..

Looks like my options are hard "X" doors or soft doors.

Are the hard doors worth the premium? Seems like these trucks aren't exactly weather/water/wind proof by design and soft doors would suffice.

Any experiences or opinions are very welcomed.

Thank you!

jake-cutter

I am going with hard doors when I get to it on my list of mods/improvements. Soft doors do not last forever and I feel it is a one time investment. I had a jeep in the past with hard doors and it was way better for sound and confront than the similar equipped soft door jeeps.

Blackmagic94

I have three types of doors but prefer the X doors, the X Doors with Supplemental Armor are my favorite I have though which is an armored 2 piece skin over a Kevlar x door.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of the old trucks have an old style body mounted door hinges which are not welded after they were made , same with the hinges on the doors {pins are crimped in }.
Later they welded them.
This type is better for the Suppl. X doors.

springbok

Just my two cents, Soft or hard doors really depend on intended use of it. Unless you are just going on looks alone. I have soft doors on mine but come winter I am sure X Doors will be on my list of I got to get.
If you are just going to play in the mud and dirt and drive around fields, I do not think hard doors are worth the investment and really would not add much to the off-roading experience..

Blackmagic94

The standard X door was designed to stop a 17 grain projectile, aka shrapnel, at around 1200 or 1500 fps. The supplemental armored doors just add to its ability, non are NIJ rated against center fire cartridge ballistic threats, for that you need the FRAG doors etc.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I was in, if I had my choice, I would choose the hard door trucks. If nothing else the latches/latching of the door, always felt more solid.

My true preference is the HMMWV I had assigned for the shortest amount of time, it was a 4 seater with the (Amtech) high fiberglass roof with the storage compartments over the rear fenders. Sometimes they are used as contact trucks. Also had the hard doors. My unit turned them in after we got back from Iraq and I implored them to keep the roofs, but they turned the old ones in to get soft skin 4 seaters instead. Bad trade IMO.

tomelroy

The aluminum half door for summer and a x door variation for winter...unlike the soft doors the half doors use the same striker the x door uses so you can interchange them in minutes. The only problem if you have a soft top.... the aluminum extrusion for the soft top kit is a piss poor design and the x door will not seat properly to seal out the weather with a soft top. The rail could be modified and you would be fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks