• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Doors/ Tops

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking through this thread, still looking for doors. I see that West Kentucky is sold out now and found thehummersupply. Has anyone ever ordered doors from them? xdoors_humvee_1_1024x1024@2x.jpg

belted_guns

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm currently waiting on a set of west kentucky fiberglass doors, will post plenty of pics here for the curious once they arrive.
As am I. should be here in a couple of days. I talked with a person there and he said when they paint, they first prime with interlux fiberglass primer, then DTM (direct to metal) primer, then carc. so that is what I am planning on doing.
I will take some pictures of the process and report back.

jake20

As am I. should be here in a couple of days. I talked with a person there and he said when they paint, they first prime with interlux fiberglass primer, then DTM (direct to metal) primer, then carc. so that is what I am planning on doing.
I will take some pictures of the process and report back.
Fantastic, can get some better info out there for the masses :p

Mine supposedly arrive tomorrow, not sure how accurate that is but I shall see.

EDIT: New delivery date is Monday

Last edited:

tgejesse

Fantastic, can get some better info out there for the masses :p

Mine supposedly arrive tomorrow, not sure how accurate that is but I shall see.

EDIT: New delivery date is Monday
Mine come Monday too! They got their shipment last week and sent everyone's out as quickly as possible.

scottc

My doors were supposed to be delivered Monday, arrived yesterday. Great looking set of doors. Mounting them correctly may take some time. Anyone have any tips or things to watch for during the install?

jake20

I must admit they did a good job copying the originals, but they are about the same price as a set of originals with supplemental skin on the outside.
I must say that at this point I've accepted the fact that the costs for any set of doors are going to be ridiculous. I had the option to buy some semi-ratty looking X-doors for the same price a while back, but I passed on them as I figured it'll be easier to deal with clean/fresh doors that I should only have to mount/paint. They're slated to arrive later today, pics to come!

On a sidenote, has anyone deal with Plan-Bs aluminum X doors? They're not as close to the originals but still look extremely solid. That was my first plan but I wanted something that looked closer to the originals.

belted_guns

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I must say that at this point I've accepted the fact that the costs for any set of doors are going to be ridiculous. I had the option to buy some semi-ratty looking X-doors for the same price a while back, but I passed on them as I figured it'll be easier to deal with clean/fresh doors that I should only have to mount/paint. They're slated to arrive later today, pics to come!

On a sidenote, has anyone deal with Plan-Bs aluminum X doors? They're not as close to the originals but still look extremely solid. That was my first plan but I wanted something that looked closer to the originals.
I looked at those doors but passed because the windows are typical rv windows that slide fore and aft, and you can not drop them down to have a good opening. other than that, similar price, but AL. Other than that, look as expected for x doors.

jake20

I looked at those doors but passed because the windows are typical rv windows that slide fore and aft, and you can not drop them down to have a good opening. other than that, similar price, but AL. Other than that, look as expected for x doors.
Oh I'm referring to their signature series, they've got 2 types. The B-Spec doors with the RV sliding windows are much more affordable at about half the price (~2500). The signature series with the original look with slide-down window are ~5000

jake20

Alrighty here we go, as promised, plenty of pics attached. I can take more pictures of specific things if anyone is interested. They came in on Monday, I had them all mounted up and good to go within about 6 hours.

For anyone just browsing through this thread quickly, these are the West Kentucky Surplus fiberglass reproduction x-doors

As for quick first impressions / basic review:

Pros:

- Fiberglass material feels incredibly sturdy, they're pretty heavy
- The weatherstrip/door edge makes tight contact with the frame of the truck
- The coating on the exterior is very consistent and clean, no surface imperfections
- They look almost exactly like the original military x-doors, except for the fact they have a lock. The door and mechanisms are otherwise very similar to the originals

Cons:

- The window / locking mechanisms could be better polished, things could operate a little smoother. The window feels on the rough side when sliding up and down
- The locking striker mount positions make it a little difficult to close the door fully, have to slam it sort-of, though it makes for a good seal so it's not that big a deal
- The insides have some sharp edges you may want to clean up, I still feel like I'm going to hurt myself trying to operate it sometimes.

Mounting tips:

Install all your strikers first. The front ones are easy as they mount to the top-most of the 2 B-Pillar frame bolts. The rears will likely require drilling and several rounds of adjustment.

Once your strikers are in, put the doors on, push them until the latch locks into the striker. Then take some massive C-Clamps or wood clamps along with some rags and clamp the other side down to the pillar through the window.

Once they're mocked up and in place, make your minor adjustments, install the hinges onto the frame, line them up over the door, and drill your first hole into the door. Once your first hole is drilled, take one of the shims they provide you with and use that as a jig for the rest of the holes, otherwise you'll have issues lining up the shim on the back side when you go to bolt the hinge to the door.

All in all they're pretty much exact replicas of the military doors, aesthetic is spot on, mechanisms could be better, at this point I'm satisfied considering the current door market, as long as they don't fall apart.

Attachments

belted_guns

Steel Soldiers Supporter
excellent, thanks. I finally get my set tomorrow. the delay was because Kentucky put the wrong contact phone number and the shipper was calling it and not getting a response. so they held. anyway, straightened out and here tomorrow. I am still waiting on the 1151a1 so we will give these a paint job while we wait.

belted_guns

Steel Soldiers Supporter
excellent, thanks. I finally get my set tomorrow. the delay was because Kentucky put the wrong contact phone number and the shipper was calling it and not getting a response. so they held. anyway, straightened out and here tomorrow. I am still waiting on the 1151a1 so we will give these a paint job while we wait.
got the doors today. fairly heavy. the fiberglass is about .25in thick. you can see the thickness in @jake20 pictures looking at the window cutout. Kentucky forgot to include one the hardware bags but Adam said he would get one shipped out.20230119_113541.jpg20230119_112849.jpg

jake20

got the doors today. fairly heavy. the fiberglass is about .25in thick. you can see the thickness in @jake20 pictures looking at the window cutout. Kentucky forgot to include one the hardware bags but Adam said he would get one shipped out.View attachment 889063View attachment 889064

Let us know if you come across any weird imperfections on yours. Just curious to see how consistent they are across batches.

Autonomy_Lost

@jake20 did you notice when drilling the holes for the hinges that the fiberglass is actually hollow in some spots? Mine was, and actually slightly cracked in one spot when I tightened the bolts. On all of the real xdoors I've looked at they were solid.

jake20

@jake20 did you notice when drilling the holes for the hinges that the fiberglass is actually hollow in some spots? Mine was, and actually slightly cracked in one spot when I tightened the bolts. On all of the real xdoors I've looked at they were solid.
Actually yes I did notice that. My general observations are that it was solid around the edges but the hole that goes closer to the center was hollow. It could be just mine but that’s what I noticed. didn’t seem to affect anything, I just made sure not to overtorque the ones with the hollow hole on mine.

jake20

Did a rain test today on the doors, no leaks coming from them really, had it outside all day with light rain. They don’t all form a complete seal on the top part but the little rain ledge on my roof keeps water away there.

Only real leaks I saw were from my turret hatch, nothing major just have to go and do some more sealing.

jake20

So on the topic of paint, what have y'all decided on what you want to do for the doors/truck in general?

I'm stuck between doing:

1: Rapco 383 Green, Rapco, 383 Brown, Rapco 911 Flat Black

2: Behr Paint (Haven't dug up what the paint codes would be for the standard woodland camo)

The things I've read by just digging around is that Rapco is pretty good, but has a very slight sheen compared to the original flat carc. This doesn't bother me too much I think. Meanwhile the Behr paint can get scuffed up easily is another thing I've heard.

If anyone has some pictures of their trucks with either paints, along with the paint codes, would be interested in seeing the results.