• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv eating through power steering pumps

Doodster

I have a 1986 Hmmwv and it started having pump issues back in September. Pump started making whining noise. I replaced it once and about a week later it started whining. Took it to a diesel shop in town and they replaced it again. Said the pump I installed was done correct just a bad pump. I drove it until about a week ago and during that I noticed if I tried to turn the steering wheel right after I start it it will not move to the right. You literally cannot muscle it any further. I usually have rotate to the left and then right a few time to get it to "unlock". Pump went out last week again and at the same time it blew the hose off nipple as it enters the radiator. I was parked on a hill to pickup my brother and as I was sitting there I felt a nasty vibration in the brake pedal than then it just dropped an inch or so. I could still stop so i new it was something with the hydroboost and not a brake line. Seemed like it had excessive pressure in the system suddenly and blew the line off, but I am just guessing. I put a new pump in a few days ago and drove it 20 miles and the pump is shot again. I notice vibration while braking and jerky power steering. The pump had full oil levels and the system flushed twice. Is this issue more likely caused by a faulty power steering valve controllers? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

WeekendWarrior

I have a 1986 Hmmwv and it started having pump issues back in September. Pump started making whining noise. I replaced it once and about a week later it started whining. Took it to a diesel shop in town and they replaced it again. Said the pump I installed was done correct just a bad pump. I drove it until about a week ago and during that I noticed if I tried to turn the steering wheel right after I start it it will not move to the right. You literally cannot muscle it any further. I usually have rotate to the left and then right a few time to get it to "unlock". Pump went out last week again and at the same time it blew the hose off nipple as it enters the radiator. I was parked on a hill to pickup my brother and as I was sitting there I felt a nasty vibration in the brake pedal than then it just dropped an inch or so. I could still stop so i new it was something with the hydroboost and not a brake line. Seemed like it had excessive pressure in the system suddenly and blew the line off, but I am just guessing. I put a new pump in a few days ago and drove it 20 miles and the pump is shot again. I notice vibration while braking and jerky power steering. The pump had full oil levels and the system flushed twice. Is this issue more likely caused by a faulty power steering valve controllers? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Just a question, are you running a V belt or serpentine system?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
More than likely something is plugged. I wonder is the return line is coming apart inside and collapsing under pressure. Like the old GM truck brake lines used to do inside not allowing full flow of fluid.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My thought is a problem in the stg gear box. No other components in the system can cause the lock issue or turning right stiffness. Internals probably shot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks