• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Engine Swap

Vapor Trail

I'm buying a Govplanet HMMWV and looking at engine swaps. Naturally the Duramax seems like the best option but the conversion kits from three different suppliers run from 10,000 to 15,000 with out the motor/tranny etc. I think a good option would be a Chevy Crate 454 or 502. It comes in a kit with tranny and computer and has 50,000 mile warranty. It has a lot of torques down low and it doesn't require a body lift which I didn't want to do and the motor mounts bolt right up. I realize fuel mileage won't be as good and resale will also suffer but it's just for messing around in. Is there something I'm missing? Not sure why more people don't do this? Thank you

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm buying a Govplanet HMMWV and looking at engine swaps. Naturally the Duramax seems like the best option but the conversion kits from three different suppliers run from 10,000 to 15,000 with out the motor/tranny etc. I think a good option would be a Chevy Crate 454 or 502. It comes in a kit with tranny and computer and has 50,000 mile warranty. It has a lot of torques down low and it doesn't require a body lift which I didn't want to do and the motor mounts bolt right up. I realize fuel mileage won't be as good and resale will also suffer but it's just for messing around in. Is there something I'm missing? Not sure why more people don't do this? Thank you
More people don't do it because the bias is towards keeping it diesel.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the crate 454 have a core charge? In my other life selling parts, those motors had a high demand especially for marine use and a stiff core value as not so many left nowadays.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have purchased several GM crate motors over the years and have never seen anything about a core, now if you are talking about a GM rebuilt engine that would be a different story

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
why bother, the motors in them are just For putting around....buy a good runner and have fun, use the money for accessories

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks