• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Fastener Finish?

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When purchasing the various OEM fasteners, I've noticed that their finish is quite dull compared to the zinc plated ones found at the local hardware store. Is the OEM fastener finish considered Passivated? Other than simply painting, is there a way to replicate this dull finish using the zinc plated ones from the local hardware store?
Thnx in advance.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have toyed with the thought of Parkerizing the fasteners for my FAV project, the process is pretty easy and I am already set up for gun refinishing.
The process infuses oil into the surface of the metal giving it a tough and fairly corrosion resistant finish.
The only issue is the metal must be "virgin" so I am not sure how hard removing the original plating will be.
Parkerizing can be done in several "colors" from grey to black to green.
The military used to be big on cadmium which is a dull silver finish, I am not sure if that is the case any more as cadmium is a big taboo in the US as it is considered a hazardous material, but of course the "government" can ignore the rules the rest of up have to live by, there is a process called "copy cad" which mimics the cadmium finish, but again you must start with a "virgin" surface.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks